Tech Suit Trouble

I may be rehashing this subject but I'm seeking advice on how to eliminate tech suit bubbling. I have the Speedo LZR Pro suit, purchased in December 2014 for the 2015-2016 competitive swim season. The first time I wore it, the suit filled with water from the neckline and created a pocket of water in the chest/neck area. This bubble effect was created when I pushed off the walls and from a dive. I wore it at one meet and haven't competed in it since. These suits are $$$$ and I want to compete in it again but am fearful of its drag suit quality. Any suggestions ladies?
  • I was thinking about this predicament during my swim yesterday. First off, I have to say that I've never used a tech suit, nor even held one in my hands. So, I don't know exactly what the material and construction is like. But my initial thought is that the suit doesn't fit your body properly...at least not in the water. And, as a guy who sews (I consider my sewing machine one of my power tools), I'd possibly try to make alterations to the suit so that it fits better and doesn't do what you're describing. I understand that specially developed material is used, and the suit is constructed a certain way for hydrodynamics. So I don't know if or how making an alteration would alter its effectiveness. BUT, I'm not really that great of a seamster. So, I thought that maybe a professional seamster/seamstress could do a much better job. But still...it might detract from the hydrodynamic construction qualities. Finally, I figured that maybe contacting the manufacturers technical department, perhaps customer service, or maybe their R&D department, and see what they suggest. Maybe you can send it back to them for alteration. Just my thoughts. Good luck. Dan
  • It sounds to me like your suit is too big. If it's not hard to get on your first couple of times (15 minutes) it's definitely too big. The first tech suit I ever bought was too big and did the bubble thing. I warmed up in it for the mile and discovered this problem. To help with it I hiked the front up excessively high and pulled it down in the back. It did alright when I dove in and worked pretty well. I only wore it that one day and then gave it to a bigger friend. For a reference point I usually practice in size 32 suits and I buy a Speedo size 25 racing suit. The sales clerk in the swim shop always recommends I size down to a 24 but I'm afraid I couldn't get it on.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    For a reference point I usually practice in size 32 suits and I buy a Speedo size 25 racing suit. Doesn't the excessive compression cause issues with muscles, and more delicate tissues?
  • Doesn't the excessive compression cause issues with muscles, and more delicate tissues? No, it seems like it keeps your muscles firing better, wards off tiredness, and keeps your core alignment tight and straight; at least I think that's the principal behind it. I've never had any damage at all. Lots of people put body glide around the straps or where ever they think the suit might rub, I've never done this and haven't had a problem. When I finish my race I take the shoulder straps down because it will dig and make your shoulders ache. I will admit on land I feel a little too compressed in a new tech suit, but when you're in the water you feel great!!
  • Would the wet suit "cling" better to the upper chest area better that way? It sounds as if it might be a bit large , from what I learned from I asking the women on the team about this situation.
  • I had the same problem, and the Speedo Rep told me to make sure the suit is wet before racing. I tried this last year at Nationals and WOW what a difference it made. About 2 heats before my race, I stopped by the shower and wet my suit. It did not fill with water and I didn't feel any drag.
  • Would the wet suit "cling" better to the upper chest area better that way? Believe it or not, it does. I had a brand new, fresh out of the box suit, fitted by the rep, that when dry causes drag, and when wet, performs as expected.