Shocked by 100 Yard Breaststroke Time

Former Member
Former Member
This is now my third post to this board. Today I did a self time in my pool of my 100 yard Breaststroke. First off, let me make it clear that the pool I have been working in is a strange, old one. It actually measures out to 100 feet long and has 4 lanes. All along I thought it was 25 meters long so all my workouts have been longer than I thought. When I have been swimming my 10 X 500's each set has been 2000 feet instead of 1500 feet. If you follow that example, 10 to 13 of these sets equal nearly 4 and 5 mile workouts. Tomorrow I am doing my first Masters coached workout and I am very excited about this. Now back to the 100 Breaststroke swim. I used my G Shock to time myself. Since there is no diving allowed in this pool I pushed off the wall. When I was completed and looked at my watch my time was 1:07 so I assume with a stopwatch I may have done a little better. After that, I thought to myself not bad for an almost 55 year old fart! Needless to say, I expect to only improve on this with a real coach who will work me properly and I am very excited about this. Anyway, I thought this was worthy of a post. Greg
  • So, you are in an old 33 1/3 yard pool, then? Those are fun. We trained in one occasionally in college. 1:07 for a 100 yard breaststroke is almost a Top Ten time for men in your age group (with a dive in competition)!
  • Holy cow! Really? Yes, the pool is exactly 100 feet or 33 1/3 yards. Only one like it I have ever swam in. It appears to have been a pretty common distance in the old days. A recently revived thread from a couple years ago discusses the topic. When I was at UCLA in the early 1970s, I believe the Men's Gym pool was 100ft long.
  • If you can do a 1:07 in a 100 ft pool with an in pool start, you could do at least a 1:05 with a block start and the extra turn. That would put you right in the middle of the 55-59 Top Ten. If you do some speed work you could get even faster.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    So, you are in an old 33 1/3 yard pool, then? Those are fun. We trained in one occasionally in college. 1:07 for a 100 yard breaststroke is almost a Top Ten time for men in your age group (with a dive in competition)! Holy cow! Really? Yes, the pool is exactly 100 feet or 33 1/3 yards. Only one like it I have ever swam in.
  • good for you. I hope you swim in a 25 yd pool to give us a touchpad time to back this up. It sounds promising.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Did not know that. Thank you, good information. Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
  • Now back to the 100 Breaststroke swim. I used my G Shock to time myself. Since there is no diving allowed in this pool I pushed off the wall. When I was completed and looked at my watch my time was 1:07 so I assume with a stopwatch I may have done a little better. After that, I thought to myself not bad for an almost 55 year old fart! Just to be clear, are we talking about 100 feet or 100 yards (i.e. one length or three lengths)? If it's 100 yards this is definitely exceptional especially with no dive start and only two turns.
  • Pushing the g-shock button could make it off by 1-2 secs. either way.
  • No worries. I couldn't swim 1:07 for a 75br. :-)
  • 1:07 would have been a very fast time for a 55 year old who hasn't really been training for a fast 100 yard ***! Now you have a goal time :) Congrats on the first masters swim!!!