DQ because of a backstroke finish rule- WTF?!?!

Former Member
Former Member
It was my 2nd DQ for my whole life (first if I was ten) I got disqualified last sunday on the german masters championchips because of the dumbest rule I ever heard. There is a rule you have NOT to be submerge on the finish on the backstroke. WTF is this bs.?!? This rule make no sense to me. You have no advantage. I mean you are almost always submerge, if you finished at backstroke or not??? btw I finished first with 5 second ahead
  • Yes this is a relatively new rule,yes it :censor: to be DQd like this.
  • LOL. My swim was fine and there are still a lot of swimmers today like E. Seeboom that do this everytime but don't get disqualified. And I didn't do any kicks and the and..I just looked back at my hand how long I have to glide to get to the wall. The rule is absolute stupid. So you can't look back how you touch the wall becuase of the danger to get under water and be submerge... So next time you better cruch your finger or the whole hand right?? How dumb are the FINA people, who didnt thnik this through?? I'm not a backstroker so I never swim backstroke in meets - but don't most swimmers just make sure they have their toes above the water if they dive back for the wall?
  • Sorry to hear about your DQ Martin, hopefully it wasn't your best swim in your age group. Unfortunately we don't get to find out what DQ times were. www.youtube.com/watch Pausing at 0:26, could this bk to br turn result in a DQ? As he touches the wall, his feet and hands are under, not sure if belly is surfaced, but from a judges standpoint it could appear as such.
  • Martin, you can look back as you approach the wall and still be legal under the current backstroke rules. You can do a lunge finish and still be legal under the current backstroke rules. I'm a Swimming Australia official. At the first major event in my state after the introduction of the new rules, many swimmers were disqualified. By the next major event (a couple of weeks later), coaches had taught swimmers to either stick a toe up as they finished, and/or roll slightly on their side so their armpit was out of the water.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    complain to your FINA rep. that rule has been around at least 1 full year. a lot of the elite swimmers were diving (submerging) on their backs and dolphin kicking to the wall instead of swimming. so, if you dolphin kicked 11m off the turn wall and then dolphin kick the 5m into the wall...that is 16m a clear violation of the 15m rule even if broken into 2 parts. with no clear way to measure how much you did earlier in the length and now on this 2nd part. they simply made it illegal to do at all. doesnt matter if you got 1st or last, your swim was illegal. LOL. My swim was fine and there are still a lot of swimmers today like E. Seeboom that do this everytime but don't get disqualified. And I didn't do any kicks and the and..I just looked back at my hand how long I have to glide to get to the wall. The rule is absolute stupid. So you can't look back how you touch the wall becuase of the danger to get under water and be submerge for one moment... So next time you better cruch your finger or the whole hand right?? How dumb are the FINA people, who didnt thnik this through??
  • I'm not a backstroker so I never swim backstroke in meets - but don't most swimmers just make sure they have their toes above the water if they dive back for the wall? I always keep a toe out of the water...like a periscope. :bolt:
  • Pausing at 0:26, could this bk to br turn result in a DQ?USMS does not use underwater officiating, so based only on this angle, there is no DQ.
  • complain to your FINA rep. that rule has been around at least 1 full year. a lot of the elite swimmers were diving (submerging) on their backs and dolphin kicking to the wall instead of swimming. so, if you dolphin kicked 11m off the turn wall and then dolphin kick the 5m into the wall...that is 16m a clear violation of the 15m rule even if broken into 2 parts. with no clear way to measure how much you did earlier in the length and now on this 2nd part. they simply made it illegal to do at all. doesnt matter if you got 1st or last, your swim was illegal.
  • So I can't reach back to touch the wall and be totally under water? I have been doing this for a long time. OH OO I need to change this , thanx for the tip.