Info about Alberca Olimpica, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Late query, I know, but we are headed to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow for a week of vacation. I found a pool in town, Alberca Olimpica, but can't find any contact info via Google. The FINA and Federacion Mexicana de Natacion websites weren't helpful either. I'm sure I can ask the hotel staff to try and track down hours and costs when I get there, but was hoping someone knew what's what. Thx, Skip
  • Can't help you on contact info, but there's also a 50M pool at the Colegio Mexico Americano. May have better luck getting in contact with someone there. www.colegiomexicoamericano.com.mx/.../ Also, you can supposedly get a day pass to Krystal which has a 25m lap pool.
  • Thanks. I sent them an email earlier, thinking that was the same pool. Living in the Chicago area, I didn't consider the possibility that Puerto Vallarta might have two 50m outdoor pools. :)
  • Quick follow-up a year later. Getting ready to come down to PV this year I turned my attention to La Alberca Olimpica once again. The concierge at the hotel was no help, though I did find the location on the map. Ellen and I walked to the pool Saturday. There wasn't a soul there, though the pool (ten lanes x 50m) was full and had lane lines. The site also has an American football field (saw blocking sleds which would have been of no use for futbol) with running track as well as an indoor gymnasium with mats and balance beams. We clearly just turned up on the wrong day. Unfortunately, I saw no posted information about hours or a phone number, so I'm really still no closer to knowing if or when I could swim there. A day or two later I was out for a walk and stumbled on a health club with a three-lane 25 meter pool: http://www.vivefit.mx/ It's just a couple blocks from the Sheraton Buganvilias resort. I went in and asked about the day rate. It is 175 pesos, which at the current exchange rate is only about $9. I didn't take advantage of it, instead opting for continued early morning swims in the too warm hotel pool and walking to keep from packing on the weight.
  • Sorry, no further update. We've not yet settled on whether to return to PV in February either. Also, at this point, should we return to PV, I won't be swimming. Not long after we returned, I was involved in a crash on my bike when riding home from work. I sport a titanium rod in my right femur now, and with an untreated AC joint dislocation on my left side (needed my arms to operate the crutches), I'm not really able to swim. I canceled my YMCA membership after a couple tries. I'm going to give it a couple more months of dry land exercise and see where things stand. I might opt for surgery if things don't improve. I really need another exercise option besides cycling. It really makes my wife nervous if I ride to work, I can't swim, and can't really run (slightly faster than a hobble, and only for very short distances). I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out which direction my wasteline has been moving. You get three guesses and the first two don't count. :(
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    This was very good info about lap pools in PV. Any even more recent updates? It also is very difficult to find email or other contact information with the management of the Olympic Pool in PV. Any help with that would be MUCH appreciated. Many thanks, Mike Gutmann, avid lap swimmer, Hillsboro, Oregon.
  • Sorry, no further update. We've not yet settled on whether to return to PV in February either. Also, at this point, should we return to PV, I won't be swimming. Not long after we returned, I was involved in a crash on my bike when riding home from work. I sport a titanium rod in my right femur now, and with an untreated AC joint dislocation on my left side (needed my arms to operate the crutches), I'm not really able to swim. I canceled my YMCA membership after a couple tries. I'm going to give it a couple more months of dry land exercise and see where things stand. I might opt for surgery if things don't improve. I really need another exercise option besides cycling. It really makes my wife nervous if I ride to work, I can't swim, and can't really run (slightly faster than a hobble, and only for very short distances). I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out which direction my wasteline has been moving. You get three guesses and the first two don't count. :( Wow, l am so sorry to hear that. I hope you heal relatively quickly and heal completely. I have had several friends badly hurt in bike accidents. I used to love to bike, now not so much.