Dry Fingers

Former Member
Former Member
I like swimming every day, but my thumbs are getting dried out around the nails. I thought that neoprene gloves or swimming mits might relieve the dryness. Any tips on what to do?
  • Coconut Oil. Massage it into the ends of your fingers. Also cuticle oil right under the tip of your nail.
  • Eucerin Original Healing Soothing Repair Cream (cream in a tub, not lotion in a bottle) - my sister has been using this on her cracked fingers for 25 years. It's very thick, works like a charm.
  • George -- I only swim 2-3 times per week and I still get the dry hands, and painful cracks around my thumbnails. I don't think it's so much related to swimming as it is just the cold, dry conditions in winter. I think any kind of moisturizer will help, but my experience is that you have to use it frequently...multiple times daily. And I still get the cracks. And when they're painful enough...I just put a small dab of superglue on it. Dan
  • Udder balm works wonders in the winter. You can find it at any Walgreens/CVS type store easily and yes, it was originally made for those poor cow's teats. :)
  • CeraVe Healing Ointment is great for this. I put it on my hands in the morning, after my swim, and right before I fall asleep in the winter. All of CeraVe's lotions and creams are great for swimmers.
  • not only fingers- arms and shins get dry. I use Cetaphil on all parts that may be dry after each swim and the gym in winter.
  • George, As I mentioned in my previous post...I too get those cracks...but pretty much just in the winter. So, I don't really think they're related to swimming, but more related to what you do with your hands outside of swimming. If you work with your hands a lot in the cold, dry conditions of winter I think you're more likely to get the cracks. For example...people who work construction, or mechanics will get them. But people in professions like bank tellers, or computer techs won't (unless they work with their hands outside of their jobs). As mentioned in other posts, excessive moisturizing is pretty much the only way to prevent them (without changing the work you do). The best suggestion I've used is to moisturizer heavily before bed and then go to bed wearing cotton gloves or socks over over your hands. That keeps the moisturizer on you hands and not on the bedsheets. When the cracks to occur...put a tab of super glue on it so that it isn't exposed. Good luck. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thanks for the lotion tips! I will investigate further. But do the Swimming Mitts keep your fingers dry?
  • O'Keefe's Working Hands, best stuff I ever found for cracked and bleeding fingers.