Dry Fingers

Former Member
Former Member
I like swimming every day, but my thumbs are getting dried out around the nails. I thought that neoprene gloves or swimming mits might relieve the dryness. Any tips on what to do?
Parents
  • George, As I mentioned in my previous post...I too get those cracks...but pretty much just in the winter. So, I don't really think they're related to swimming, but more related to what you do with your hands outside of swimming. If you work with your hands a lot in the cold, dry conditions of winter I think you're more likely to get the cracks. For example...people who work construction, or mechanics will get them. But people in professions like bank tellers, or computer techs won't (unless they work with their hands outside of their jobs). As mentioned in other posts, excessive moisturizing is pretty much the only way to prevent them (without changing the work you do). The best suggestion I've used is to moisturizer heavily before bed and then go to bed wearing cotton gloves or socks over over your hands. That keeps the moisturizer on you hands and not on the bedsheets. When the cracks to occur...put a tab of super glue on it so that it isn't exposed. Good luck. Dan
  • George, As I mentioned in my previous post...I too get those cracks...but pretty much just in the winter. So, I don't really think they're related to swimming, but more related to what you do with your hands outside of swimming. If you work with your hands a lot in the cold, dry conditions of winter I think you're more likely to get the cracks. For example...people who work construction, or mechanics will get them. But people in professions like bank tellers, or computer techs won't (unless they work with their hands outside of their jobs). As mentioned in other posts, excessive moisturizing is pretty much the only way to prevent them (without changing the work you do). The best suggestion I've used is to moisturizer heavily before bed and then go to bed wearing cotton gloves or socks over over your hands. That keeps the moisturizer on you hands and not on the bedsheets. When the cracks to occur...put a tab of super glue on it so that it isn't exposed. Good luck. Dan
Children
No Data