Beware no breathers: tragedy at pool

Former Member
Former Member
  • As far as pool swimming, I see no need for 50 yard/meter under water no breath swims!
  • I think the tethered hands and feet test is not an UW distance swim, just a test in the deep end where they have to accomplish a series of feats. Basically how well they stay calm bound up like that. I know exactly how well I'd stay calm in such a situation: not more than a nanosecond. Fortunately, I have no ambition to join the SEALS.
  • Sad tragedy. Really unfortunate. I never go beyond 25 meters underwater for safety. I also make sure not to do too many underwater drills in very short periods of time.
  • Bob Bowman, who has been very active in educating the swimming community on the dangers of shallow water blackout, recently took to social media to plead for a stop to the practice pf prolonged breath-holding: "PLEASE STOP EXTENDED BREATH-HOLDING ACTIVITIES. THEY ARE NOT RELEVANT TO COMPETITIVE SWIMMING PERFORMANCE AND CAN BE FATAL." I couldn't agree more. If you would like more info on shallow water blackout, you can check out my 3-part series on the subject via SwimSwam: swimswam.com/.../ swimswam.com/.../ swimswam.com/.../
  • So sad this keeps happening. Beyond stupid doing prolonged underwater swims...
  • Actually, thinking about this, I wonder how long it was before somebody noticed him. Presumably, a healthy 21 year old could be resuscitated without incident if he was not under long. A nonfatal drowning due to 50 meter underwaters occurred with my daughter's former team and it was parents that brought it to lifeguards attention (almost missing a second blacked out child in the water with the commotion of the first). I swim at multiple facilities, some with and some without lifeguards. Anecdotally, I am not sure the presence of lifeguards is very cost effective or very lifesaving.
  • Sad tragedy. Really unfortunate. I never go beyond 25 meters underwater for safety. I also make sure not to do too many underwater drills in very short periods of time. I limit it similarly - occasional 8x25 yds @1:00 streamlined underwater dolphin kick with fins, I do not hyperventilate between reps, and come up if I need to. I think GO BEARS thankfully cautioned me a few years back about hyperventilating between reps and pushing too far. There's been a lot more published since then, but apparently the message hasn't reached everyone.
  • Wow. We have a policy at our Y pool that holding your breath under water like that is not allowed. Although it seems much better than the alternative of NOT holding your breath while underwater! :) Seriously, though, practicing underwater swimming is a vital component if you want to become a faster swimmer. You can't become a faster underwater swimmer without practicing, so it's a bit of a fine line between challenging underwater training and dangerous underwater training.
  • I limit it similarly - occasional 8x25 yds @1:00 streamlined underwater dolphin kick with fins, I do not hyperventilate between reps, and come up if I need to. I think GO BEARS thankfully cautioned me a few years back about hyperventilating between reps and pushing too far. There's been a lot more published since then, but apparently the message hasn't reached everyone. Glad you are cautious :) Always so sad to hear about a tragedy like this...