Beware no breathers: tragedy at pool

Former Member
Former Member
  • That is so sad and so preventable. Don't try to see how far you can swim underwater,it is not worth the risk.
  • That is tragic! The pool that I swim at is on the Navy base in Newport, RI where the Naval Academy Prep School, and Officer Candidate School are located. The SEALs recruit from the ranks of those schools so those candidates hoping to get selected are always training for their swim tests at that pool, but during the open/lap swim...which means they're not being supervised by SEAL instructors. The swim test includes an underwater swim (not sure how far) so obviously they want to train on that (I think they have to do it with the feet tied, and their hands tied behind their back). But years ago the lifeguards and pool management got so aggravated with their lengthy underwater swims that large signs had to be put up stating that it is strictly forbidden. Dan
  • Saw this news on SwimSwam today. It's a tragedy that confirms the need to continue to educate swimmers, coaches and pool staff - among others - about the dangers of prolonged underwater breath holding. Thoughts go out to Tate's family and friends.
  • This is very unfortunate, the kid had so much ahead of him. Hopefully this will reach others and prevent it from happening again for others The swim test includes an underwater swim (not sure how far) so obviously they want to train on that (I think they have to do it with the feet tied, and their hands tied behind their back). Dan I think the tethered hands and feet test is not an UW distance swim, just a test in the deep end where they have to accomplish a series of feats. Basically how well they stay calm bound up like that.
  • The swim test includes an underwater swim (not sure how far) so obviously they want to train on that DanDuring Navy Seals BUD/S candidates must swim 50 M underwater. However, every reliable source will tell you; never train for this on your own or even supervised by under-qualified individuals. Most will recommend you become a competent swimmer and leave underwater training to the BUD/S instructors who know exactly what they are doing. The risks of shallow water blackout are well documented and all too often end in tragedy. YouTube of BUD/S underwater test. www.youtube.com/watch
  • Well, for elite groups like the Seals, you'll get more hard core recruits and training than for the average masters swimmer, even though we're going to be in better shape than average--and even a college team, it seems to me, won't undergo that kind of training. But I've done underwater sets w a past masters group and hated them. I could never stay submerged b/c I'm pretty buoyant so my body probably saved me. More and more, I wonder if I even need to do these sets. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • The problem is that swimmers have this false sense of security that they will receive a "unique" signal that will tell them it is time to surface before they pass out. This doesn't happen!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Wow. We have a policy at our Y pool that holding your breath under water like that is not allowed. Didn't know why until now. So sad.
  • @Rob, Seals, at least the ones I've known are really not that amazing at swimming. They wear super long and stiff fins that propel them through the water with very little effort. Don't get me wrong, I will never dispute the fact they are brave, strong, courageous, and save all of us! I'm just saying the Seals that have shown up at my pool could have never completed the workout IAM did this morning unless they had their super fins and were swimming on their side. The thing that happened to this young man is a culmination of years of cardio-training coupled with his ability to work past the pain and enter the twilight zone where his brain received no signals. Serious Trouble!
  • That "need for air" pain is telling you that you're about to pass out. Without it (from hyperventilating or deep breathing), you just pass out. I once came close to having a similar experience when the team that rented the pool I use, changed pool locations, taking their backstroke flags with them! Luckily I acknowledged the prolonged lack of turn cue and slowed down in time for it not be serious. My head still hit the wall hard enough to bleed though. Now, I never attempt backstroke without first making sure the flags are up.