Help me improving my breastroke times.

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I´m David from Ecuador in South America, I would like to improve my times in breastroke: 50 meters 31,80; 100 meters 1:09,88; 200 Meters 2:37,50 all of them on short course pool (25m). I think I have to improve technique but in my country there are no good coaches or special labs and I know I have a lot of mistakes. I want your opinion, you can see these videos on my youtube channel: 50 breastroke lane 2 youtu.be/zOR1zfI1QbA 100 breastroke lane 6: youtu.be/2od4xBz0_uk and also this 25m sprint underwater video: youtu.be/OPNdDh1GMFc Please help me with my goals. Also here is some data: High: 1,70 m Weigh: 62Kg Fat%: 16.3% Age: 21 Daily training time: 1hr gym, 1hr swimming (2000 to 3000 meters, just 1000meters breastroke swimming) , ½ hr core training on land.
  • In your 50 and 100 it was very hard to see what your arms and legs were actually doing.I did notice on the 50 at the breakout in both the start and turn that your first pull at the surface was wider and slower than your pulls thereafter. The underwater view was much more helpful.You are not getting much out of your pull.Many breaststrokers pull too far back,but you look to be doing little more than a scull on your pull. Work on pulling further back for more power. On your kick recovery you a bending too much at the hip. Practice the recovery by bending only at the knees. Good drills for this are kicking on your back or vertical kicking while facing and holding on to the wall so that if you bend at the hips it bonks your knees. Some bending at the hips does help generate more power,but it needs to be late in the recovery,really right at the catch,to minimize resistance. You are bending at the hips too early and too far.
  • Can't comment on stroke because there aren't any clear under water shots. In your 100 race, check how much further your competitors are getting on their pull outs than you. I believe I could see your forehead on your pullout on the 50 turn, this would slow momentum and "pop" you up early and short, keep your head down well into the first stroke.