question about workouts

Former Member
Former Member
I am unable to attend a coached workout and make up most of my workouts. I do have a question though. About what percentage of your normal workouts are at a hard or intense pace? Right now, I am swimming around 2000-2500 yards and about 800-1000 of them are at an intense pace for me. My warm up is 500 and my cool down is usually 300-400 yards. So about 800-900 are warm up and cool down. I am not sure these percentages make sure.
  • What events do you swim? Also, it looks like you're swimming 800-900 warmup/down, 800-1000 "intense" pace, so you're leaving out a few hundred yards. Are those yards somewhere in between?
  • I am unable to attend a coached workout and make up most of my workouts. I do have a question though. About what percentage of your normal workouts are at a hard or intense pace? Right now, I am swimming around 2000-2500 yards and about 800-1000 of them are at an intense pace for me. My warm up is 500 and my cool down is usually 300-400 yards. So about 800-900 are warm up and cool down. I am not sure these percentages make sure. That is about what I do.
  • I think what you are doing looks pretty good. If you were focusing on events like stroke 200s, 400 IM, or distance free then you'd really need to work some aerobic sets in (at least 20 minutes of swimming without much rest), but based on your events focusing on speed work is the way to go.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Yes, the other yards are in between the "intense" yards. I may swim a 50 or 100 in between to reach that days yardage but also to catch my breath. I will be swimming the 100 and 200 IM as well as 50 and 100 *** and 50 fly. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    Thanks for the insight. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • You can also make your workouts more challenging and varied by thinking beyond intensity. You can work on fine tuning your technique at a less intense pace and end up with faster race pace performances as a result of increased efficiency. Your warmup and warmdown could be too long given the total amount of yardage you are swimming - but at the same time, if you focus on drills that are appropriate to your specific technical needs, you can really make the most of those parts of your practice. While generic practices geared towards different levels of swimmers abound, they are not necessarily right for you. Think more in terms of what components your practices incorporate as opposed to focusing on intensity vs slower pace. Good luck!