Speedo Vanquisher Goggles

The Women's Vanquisher is the only goggle I can wear without leaking. I tend to purchase about 4 pair at a time when they are on sale, so I may have had them for awhile before I wear them. Here's the problem: For the third time in the last year or so, the coating has bubbled up on the first wearing, making them unusable. The first time it happened, I was at Nationals where a Speedo rep switched them out as flawed. It's not so convenient when you don't have a Speedo rep nearby. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how have you handled it? Love the goggles, but hate throwing them away after one wearing!
  • Anna Lea, I had the same thing happen with the anti-fog coating in my stash of Tyr Women's T-72 Petite goggles. That coating never seems to last in goggles anyway (I keep mine in a case, too!), so as soon as I notice the cracks in the coating, I go ahead and remove it. After that, I use my homemade spray bottle solution of 1 ounce each of water and rubbing alcohol along with a drop of baby shampoo. :hijack: P.S. I read your answer to the question in Swimmer Magazine. Bruce and I enjoy reading Consumer Reports, too! I can't think of one significant purchase (including our Toyota Prius) we have made without reading their reviews. We've been happy with the results!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    I recently had the same problem with new TYR Racetech goggles. Like you, I buy them in quantity because they are the only goggle that seems to work for me. The last few pairs that I have pulled out of my stash have all done the same thing that you describe. I think it's the anti-fog coating on the inside lens of the goggle. The first pair developed little "cracks" in that coating that were so bad after a couple of wearings that I couldn't see out of them. I pulled another pair out of my stash and made sure not to touch the inside of the goggles at all. After one wearing, again the inside was completely cracked and they were not usable. I pulled a third pair out of the stash and noticed that this pair was in what looks like updated packaging. So I hoped that they were from a newer batch. Again, I have been very careful with this pair not to ever touch the inside of the goggle at all. I have been able to wear this pair for several weeks but I can see that the inside coating is already getting sort of cloudy. I was told by a swim vendor that TYR has stopped making the Racetechs. I hope that's not true because it is so difficult for me to find goggles that fit. Anna Lea
  • Wow, this is very interesting. They should definitely do away with the anti-fog coating if it's the culprit because it's useless anyway.
  • Sorry. I buy a new pair at the start of each season. I might need to try TYR or others if this is new problem!
  • I use my homemade spray bottle solution of 1 ounce each of water and rubbing alcohol along with a drop of baby shampoo. Does the alcohol in this solution bother your eyes? I'm really frustrated with the antifog on my last three pairs of goggles (2 Pair Speedo Vanquishers & 1 Pair TYR Velocity). I was religious about being very careful with them and within 2 - 3 days the antifog on both wore out. Once upon a time I had bought Vanquishers and the antifog seemed to last forever (at least a season). So sad. I can deal with it at practice but the foggy really does a number on me when I get up on the blocks for a race.
  • Former Member
    After that, I use my homemade spray bottle solution of 1 ounce each of water and rubbing alcohol along with a drop of baby shampoo. Also, how do you use it? Do you spray it in the goggles and rinse them? Or do you spray and then leave it? Anna Lea
  • I was told by a swim vendor that TYR has stopped making the Racetechs. I hope that's not true because it is so difficult for me to find goggles that fit. I've been hearing this off/on for the past 4-5 years and have stocked up on them just in case. That said, a year or so ago I tried the TYR Tracer goggles. It took a little getting used to, but I think I actually prefer those now. The shape is much different, but the tinting (I prefer metallized) is about the same. Thankfully I haven't (yet) had any issues with the coating cracking.
  • Former Member
    Anna Lea, I had the same thing happen with the anti-fog coating in my stash of Tyr Women's T-72 Petite goggles. That coating never seems to last in goggles anyway (I keep mine in a case, too!), so as soon as I notice the cracks in the coating, I go ahead and remove it. After that, I use my homemade spray bottle solution of 1 ounce each of water and rubbing alcohol along with a drop of baby shampoo. Elaine, how do you remove the coating? Anna Lea
  • Anti-fog just doesnt' work well. I take a bit of baby shampoo on my fingers and rub the inside of the goggles, then rinse every time I get into the pool or lake. It works well for hours. Youc an get a travel sized bottle that will last for a long time.
  • Elaine, how do you remove the coating? Anna Lea Somebody else on the Forums suggested rubbing toothpaste on it, so I gave it a try. It worked for me!