Great to be back in pool...but cramps.

Hello, everyone. I just got back in the pool after three decades away and hope to compete in a few meets in the next calendar year. I love being back at it and can already feel and see my body adjusting in the first couple of weeks. However, doing actual workouts which include kicking drills has caused my legs - mainly in the calves - to cramp up when I get to about 3/4 of the way through the workout and attempt to dolphin kick or streamline kick in a drill. Is this due to lack of strength, stretching or salt? Or is it just going to take some time before my body adjusts to this new type of movement? Any advice or insight is appreciated!
  • I used to get cramps in my feet fairly regularly, and still do a bit, but far less often since I've started taking a calcium/magnesium supplement every day. This is the one I use: www.amazon.com/.../ Hydration could also be a factor, but if you're well hydrated and still cramping, give those a shot and see if it works for you. It definitely worked for me and several other people I've recommended it to.
  • cramps are a result of improper electolytes - Na, K, Mg, Ca and Cl and also hydration you need all of these steve
  • I had the very same issue last year when I picked up the sport after a 27 year layoff. I tried all sorts of things for the cramps, but didn't see much improvement until I started taking a Magnesium supplement. I still get them on occasion, but not with the same frequency and intensity as before. Recently ran out of the magnesium, thought I go without for a while and see if maybe I had just trained out of the cramps. Nope, the frequency and intensity both increased within a couple weeks. Needless to say, I got back on the supplement again.
  • As the earlier replies suggest, the cramps could be from lack of hydration or an electrolyte imbalance, but also keep in mind the fact that you are returning to the sport after three decades. Even if you see measurable progress, you still need to monitor your body's response to workouts very carefully, together with a coach, to see what the origin of the cramps may be. Do you vary the intensity of your kicking sets? Your mind might think that you are able to do more than your body is actually able to perform. You may need to re-think the type of workouts you are doing at this time and that is where both you and your coach can sit down and determine what is best for you. Good luck!
  • Well, it's pretty clear what I need to do. Thanks everyone for your answers. Much appreciated.
  • I do think a lot of it is adjusting to the new stress on the muscles. I tend to only cramp up when I haven't been swimming much. When I'm in good shape I rarely get them.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    When my Synthroid needs adjusting I get cramps. If the above suggestions don't help, talk to your doctor.
  • When I have been out for a while, Once I hit about 1200 yards of hard swimming, leg muscles start to fail. If I try and push through that, I cramp. I typically drink more milk when training, but my diet is basically the same otherwise. Either it's the conditioning or the milk that clears this up after a week or two for me. I would bet it's mostly conditioning.
  • I started to swim again back in August after being away from the pool after 30 years and the one thing I wanted to do was to stay away from injuries. I did a lot of stretching a few days before getting back into the pool, and I drink fluids before I go swimming, and I drink fluids afterwards. I did feel a cramp in one of my legs a few weeks ago and I just stopped right there and went into the whirlpool and stretched it out. I have also use the whirlpool after every workout, and I feel that it helps a lot. :)
  • Despite what many have written, there is poor evidence suggesting cramps are a result of dehydration and/or electrolyte imbalances. Instead, fatigue appears to be the main cause of cramping, hence the occurrence in the pre-season or at the end of tough sets. At the beginning of the season, you fatigue and this alters your neuro-muscular control in the muscle and the muscle begins to cramp...owie! Simply get in better shape and work on recovery, don't waste your money. Here is an interview from my website with a leading researcher on the subject, hopefully the mods don't remove it: www.swimmingscience.net/.../friday-interview-kevin-oconnell-ph-d-candidate-discusses-genes-and-cramping.html That is a fascinating paper. No one on this thread has mentioned the pickle juice treatment. Pickle juice will stop muscle cramping that has already started.It acts too rapidly to correct any electrolyte imbalances(which shouldn't work anyway per the paper.) i don't believe there is a good explanation of it's mechanism of action.