Great to be back in pool...but cramps.

Hello, everyone. I just got back in the pool after three decades away and hope to compete in a few meets in the next calendar year. I love being back at it and can already feel and see my body adjusting in the first couple of weeks. However, doing actual workouts which include kicking drills has caused my legs - mainly in the calves - to cramp up when I get to about 3/4 of the way through the workout and attempt to dolphin kick or streamline kick in a drill. Is this due to lack of strength, stretching or salt? Or is it just going to take some time before my body adjusts to this new type of movement? Any advice or insight is appreciated!
Parents
  • As the earlier replies suggest, the cramps could be from lack of hydration or an electrolyte imbalance, but also keep in mind the fact that you are returning to the sport after three decades. Even if you see measurable progress, you still need to monitor your body's response to workouts very carefully, together with a coach, to see what the origin of the cramps may be. Do you vary the intensity of your kicking sets? Your mind might think that you are able to do more than your body is actually able to perform. You may need to re-think the type of workouts you are doing at this time and that is where both you and your coach can sit down and determine what is best for you. Good luck!
  • As the earlier replies suggest, the cramps could be from lack of hydration or an electrolyte imbalance, but also keep in mind the fact that you are returning to the sport after three decades. Even if you see measurable progress, you still need to monitor your body's response to workouts very carefully, together with a coach, to see what the origin of the cramps may be. Do you vary the intensity of your kicking sets? Your mind might think that you are able to do more than your body is actually able to perform. You may need to re-think the type of workouts you are doing at this time and that is where both you and your coach can sit down and determine what is best for you. Good luck!
Children
No Data