Great to be back in pool...but cramps.

Hello, everyone. I just got back in the pool after three decades away and hope to compete in a few meets in the next calendar year. I love being back at it and can already feel and see my body adjusting in the first couple of weeks. However, doing actual workouts which include kicking drills has caused my legs - mainly in the calves - to cramp up when I get to about 3/4 of the way through the workout and attempt to dolphin kick or streamline kick in a drill. Is this due to lack of strength, stretching or salt? Or is it just going to take some time before my body adjusts to this new type of movement? Any advice or insight is appreciated!
Parents
  • I had the very same issue last year when I picked up the sport after a 27 year layoff. I tried all sorts of things for the cramps, but didn't see much improvement until I started taking a Magnesium supplement. I still get them on occasion, but not with the same frequency and intensity as before. Recently ran out of the magnesium, thought I go without for a while and see if maybe I had just trained out of the cramps. Nope, the frequency and intensity both increased within a couple weeks. Needless to say, I got back on the supplement again.
  • I had the very same issue last year when I picked up the sport after a 27 year layoff. I tried all sorts of things for the cramps, but didn't see much improvement until I started taking a Magnesium supplement. I still get them on occasion, but not with the same frequency and intensity as before. Recently ran out of the magnesium, thought I go without for a while and see if maybe I had just trained out of the cramps. Nope, the frequency and intensity both increased within a couple weeks. Needless to say, I got back on the supplement again.
Children
No Data