Rob Butcher Leaving for Swim Across America

swimswam.com/.../ Congrats and good luck, Rob!
  • Most would agree that Rob has raised the visibility and awareness of USMS. I personally think he has done a fantastic job with our organization. Plus, he's a nice guy and great swimmer. All the best. As a parting gift to us Rob has assured me he will be getting rid of the 100 IM and all non-free 50s, since we are now all over the age of 12. That's right Fort.
  • As a parting gift to us Rob has assured me he will be getting rid of the 100 IM and all non-free 50s, since we are now all over the age of 12. That's right Fort. I'm quite sure that Rob supported the addition of 25s to meets. :)
  • It's hard to be mad at him for going to a great organization like SAA,so I eventually will forgive him for abandoning us. He is a great guy and a great swimmer(it is good to see geek recognize a breaststroker as a great swimmer.)
  • as i chatted with Rob at the Pan-Am games in Medellin, Columbia, South America, he was on the phone finishing up the contract on his families new home in North Carolina. i found it interesting that he was going to commute to Sarasota so much.....i guess not so much now. lucky for SAA!
  • With Rob becoming President, we can say for sure that we are better off now than we were seven years ago! Congratulations Rob. Thanks for your leadership. Best of luck with SAA! Glenn Gruber
  • I'm quite sure that Rob supported the addition of 25s to meets. :) Yeah, Rob strikes me as more of a sprinter type. For balance the new executive should be a d-man/woman.
  • Getting pool space can be a schedule challenge and expensive. The addition of 25s and 100 yard relays would have been a tool that event directors or clubs could use to overcome both (i.e. offer a meet of 25s, 50s & 100s only, charge splash fee on 25s to generate more gross, etc.). 25s is also likely to be attractive to beginner adults. I support adding tools and new programs that can be of benefit to our event directors, clubs and members. I am also reminded that sometimes legislation can take several conventions to pass like the 18-24 age group and relay categories for SCY. I hope 25s and 100 yard relays will be proposed in 2016 and be passed. It was a year ago that I first discussed with USMS President Nadine Day that my wife Alli and I wanted to be closer to our family, especially with our twins reaching the kindergarten stage. We planned during the winter/spring the transition and I had every intent of staying with USMS. SAA fell into my lap when Janel decided she wanted to step down end of the year to spend more time with her family, something I absolutely understand and respect. I am honored to be able to serve a life changing mission like SAA through my love of swimming. I shared in this blog my thought process: forums.usms.org/blog.php ... Rob
  • Had a nice short chat with Rob last year at Maryland Nats. I thanked him for the efficient ways nationals are conducted, as a contrast to the early years. He has certainly done a terrific job for USMS and wish him the best as he returns to the Old North State. Looking forward to seeing him at NC meets!
  • I recently had a great heart-to-heart interview with Rob, in which he talks about his life as a swimmer, his plans for SAA and reflects on his time with USMS. He's an inspiration and it will be exciting to see what he will do for Swim Across America! www.swimspire.com/a-conversation-with-usms-executive-director-rob-butcher/
  • Julia, that was a wonderful interview with Rob! Your questions were excellent, and Rob's responses were both heart-wrenching and heart-warming. Rob, I wish you the very best in life! You are an inspiration and did a fabulous job as our leader at USMS. On a personal note, I always appreciated your kindness when I met you at Nationals and saw you again at subsequent Nationals. The same goes for those e-mails. Remember when that pool company in the Atlanta area ripped off our trademarked USMS logo and had the NERVE to display it on their vans? BUSTED! Man, was I miffed! :bitching: You were on it, though. :applaud: Kudos! I look forward to seeing you at a Swim Across America swim someday! Good luck to you and your family!!