Odd Department Store Display

I was in a local Target department store (Dartmouth, MA) with the wife and h.s. son yesterday.,While they were back-to-school shopping I was just strolling around. There in the electronics section I came upon a display of swimming goggles. Not along with other swimming/pool items, just the goggles...with electronic stuff all around. Odd! Dan
  • I remember hearing that someone came out with goggles that have built in GPS. Maybe that's what these were?
  • Precisely. Targeted toward open water swimmers/triathletes. They are an obvious navigation aid and, as such, are illegal for USMS open water racing under rules 303.7.2D and 303.7.3C, "Swimmers are not permitted to wear or use any additional device or substance to help their speed, pace, navigation, buoyancy or endurance during a swim (such as webbed gloves, fins, snorkels, audio players, etc.) , except in designated events where all swimmers may use similar devices or substances."
  • Could be. But there didn't appear to be anything special about them...based on the price. They were just the lower quality Speedo brand. But now I'm intrigued by the GPS goggles. I'm trying to think of a situation (swimming) where I'd need GPS. I guess to give speed/distance for open water swimmers. Dan
  • I guess to give speed/distance for open water swimmers. Precisely. Targeted toward open water swimmers/triathletes.
  • They are an obvious navigation aid and, as such, are illegal for USMS open water racing under rules 303.7.2D and 303.7.3C, "Swimmers are not permitted to wear or use any additional device or substance to help their speed, pace, navigation, buoyancy or endurance during a swim (such as webbed gloves, fins, snorkels, audio players, etc.) , except in designated events where all swimmers may use similar devices or substances." That's a pretty ambiguous rule. One could read it as saying tech suits, swim caps, and even standard goggles are not allowed. Dan
  • That's a pretty ambiguous rule. One could read it as saying tech suits, swim caps, and even standard goggles are not allowed. Actually it's not ambiguous because the items you mentioned are specifically allowed in sections 303.7.1 and 303.7.2.
  • GPS? I do feel lost sometimes during long sets in a 25 yd. pool!
  • GPS? I do feel lost sometimes during long sets in a 25 yd. pool! LOL
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I thought GPS goggles would just be just for tracking how far you swam, etc. to look at when you get back to your computer. I just found a company that is trying to put in a "heads up display" style indication that has indication lights that light up if you are veering left or right. www.dcrainmaker.com/.../iolite-enabled-goggles.html The link above is a demo released during their failed kickstarter but they seem to have a product you can buy today on their website.
  • GPS? I do feel lost sometimes during long sets in a 25 yd. pool! Anything that would help those swimmers who can't swim straight in a lane (forcing everyone else in the lane to get out of the way) would have some value.:):)