Can someone start at 31 with the intent to compete?

Former Member
Former Member
Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging. If your approach is correct, which means appropriate fitness and technique training, as well as if you have enough motivation and time I'd say: Definitely Yes! Unfortunately what most adults don't have is time, cause we have to work to support our family. I am 37 now and I started to swim 2-3 months ago (once or twice a week only, due time restraints and 1 hour per each training) with enough knowledge about the technique, but no practical experience how to apply that knowledge myself. I swam 50 SCM Free in over 1,5 minutes the first time. Now I lost almost 18 lbs (diet and a little fitness) and last Saturday I made 47 sec for the same distance. Of course I will never reach the Olympics, but I am sure that I will improve my time till the next Masters meeting in winter. And I know people at the age 41-42 who can swim 50 LCM Free in under 23 sec. Of course they've started to learn swimming while they were kids, but it doesn't matter so much. Cause only thing you need to obtain is appropriate fitness and technique level.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Not just for fitness, because that would be discouraging. If your approach is correct, which means appropriate fitness and technique training, as well as if you have enough motivation and time I'd say: Definitely Yes! Unfortunately what most adults don't have is time, cause we have to work to support our family. I am 37 now and I started to swim 2-3 months ago (once or twice a week only, due time restraints and 1 hour per each training) with enough knowledge about the technique, but no practical experience how to apply that knowledge myself. I swam 50 SCM Free in over 1,5 minutes the first time. Now I lost almost 18 lbs (diet and a little fitness) and last Saturday I made 47 sec for the same distance. Of course I will never reach the Olympics, but I am sure that I will improve my time till the next Masters meeting in winter. And I know people at the age 41-42 who can swim 50 LCM Free in under 23 sec. Of course they've started to learn swimming while they were kids, but it doesn't matter so much. Cause only thing you need to obtain is appropriate fitness and technique level.
Children
No Data