Training SCY for LCM races

Hello all, I train at UC (Cincinnati), and I train hard every day. The problem is (at least I think it's a problem) that long course is only available three days a week out of the seven that I swim. My question is, what kinds of swims do I do in yards that could condition my body for the stresses of long course races? I swim all breaststroke distances (prefer the 50 and 100, but the 200 is probably my best), and sprint freestyle (just the 50 at nationals). I am doing a lot of sprint work and kick work which I think will benefit my 50 and 100 breaststroke and freestyle, but I am a little worried that I won't be aerobically ready for the 200 when it is time to race. Simply speaking :P, there are just too many turns in a 200 yard breaststroke to mimic one set in LCM. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it! Thanks! Alex M.
Parents
  • I'm sorry you feel that way,that has certainly not been my experience.I agree that racing LCM is a totally different from racing SC,but my experience is that with a little creativity I can be prepared for LCM races. I totally agree with Allen. I've never ever done a single LCM practice (for lack of opportunity) but at the 2013 LCM nationals, I won three events in my age group. I find that SCY is more than adequate preparation for me to compete very well in LCM and open water. I do a lot of open water races too and consistently place quite well at them, often winning my age group or even winning the entire event, yet I haven't done an open water "practice" swim in nearly 2 years (I only get in the open water to race now, not to train). I think it really comes down to where your strengths lie and what you need to work on. For me, I don't have any problem with endurance or finding a rhythm for swimming long distances. But I do have problems controlling my breath out of turns, so I focus on improving that aspect of my swimming. Figure out what your weaknesses are and then work on improving them.
  • I'm sorry you feel that way,that has certainly not been my experience.I agree that racing LCM is a totally different from racing SC,but my experience is that with a little creativity I can be prepared for LCM races. I totally agree with Allen. I've never ever done a single LCM practice (for lack of opportunity) but at the 2013 LCM nationals, I won three events in my age group. I find that SCY is more than adequate preparation for me to compete very well in LCM and open water. I do a lot of open water races too and consistently place quite well at them, often winning my age group or even winning the entire event, yet I haven't done an open water "practice" swim in nearly 2 years (I only get in the open water to race now, not to train). I think it really comes down to where your strengths lie and what you need to work on. For me, I don't have any problem with endurance or finding a rhythm for swimming long distances. But I do have problems controlling my breath out of turns, so I focus on improving that aspect of my swimming. Figure out what your weaknesses are and then work on improving them.
Children
No Data