Help needed to impove my breaststroke

Former Member
Former Member
Hello fellow-swimmers! Could you please check out videos of my breaststroke. So far 50m *** is my best distance. But for the last two years I haven’t been able to break 36+ seconds limit (SC). That’s a snippet of 50m at race speed: www.youtube.com/watch I have more videos, but so far the forum allows me to add only one. Mistakes, drills to fix them, stretching exercises? I’m total amateur, 35 years old, it’s my 6th year of competitive swimming. Thanks!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    I may be confused, but are you doing the second 25 without breathing in between? Ha-ha! No, no. Of course I breathe while sprinting.But as I stop I would usually breathe deep and calm, exhaling in water, to let my pulse down.
  • Former Member
    Ha-ha! No, no. Of course I breathe while sprinting.But as I stop I would usually breathe deep and calm, exhaling in water, to let my pulse down. Ah! to reiterate Allen's point, I think that you can make some incremental improvements to your stroke but if you want to make a jump forward you need to drive more from the hips. Not being a coach, it's quite hard to explain but I think that it's like incorporating a dolphin kick into your kick, without flexing at the knee. You will get some undulation and your feet will rise and fall a little but you shouldn't get downward propulsion from this. Crossing that like will get you DQ'd. This should also keep your hips high in the water and therefore your body should end up nice and flat. I don't know if I described that well at all....
  • Former Member
    Ah! to reiterate Allen's point, I think that you can make some incremental improvements to your stroke but if you want to make a jump forward you need to drive more from the hips. Not being a coach, it's quite hard to explain but I think that it's like incorporating a dolphin kick into your kick, without flexing at the knee. You will get some undulation and your feet will rise and fall a little but you shouldn't get downward propulsion from this. Crossing that like will get you DQ'd. This should also keep your hips high in the water and therefore your body should end up nice and flat. I don't know if I described that well at all.... Yes, I think I understand it theoretically )) I'll try to work on this. Couple other people also mentioned me I needed to imcoporate lower back and hips to increase the propulsion. If you want to swim a 35 then you need to be swimming your 25s in high 18s or faster I checked the time and I sprint 25m only for 19s+ (with wall start, no dive)
  • Former Member
    I checked the time and I sprint 25m only for 19s+ (with wall start, no dive) I wouldn't sweat over training times right now. They can be so variable. I did 30.3 SCM last year but would be lucky to break 17s on a 25 in training. I can reliably do a few 17s in succession, and would consider that to be about "race pace". You have to also consider that if you're checking the time clock yourself there's a margin for error.
  • This is good stuff to help me in my poor BR. Thanx for all the videos.
  • OK, as an update. I manage to improve my BR a little bit. I swam LC 50m at national masters championship (Russia) for 36.40 (before that I had SC for 36.10). That's the video: https://youtu.be/V59a3dOEK6c (me at lane 7, the closest one to you). What I don't like here is a lot of undulations (reminds me Spitz's fly), especially with my head. Bad start, - I just fell into water and it looks this was where a lost to the leaders, doing really short underwater part. I couldn't see the start well enough to offer a suggestion. Your stroke looks very good,except,you are making too much effort to recover your hands above the water.You are shooting your hands a little up instead of straight forward. This is causing your torso to be angled up and increasing your drag.This adds to the non-propulsive part of your undulations.
  • Former Member
    OK, as an update. I manage to improve my BR a little bit. I swam LC 50m at national masters championship (Russia) for 36.40 (before that I had SC for 36.10). That's the video: https://youtu.be/V59a3dOEK6c (me at lane 7, the closest one to you). What I don't like here is a lot of undulations (reminds me Spitz's fly), especially with my head. Bad start, - I just fell into water and it looks this was where a lost to the leaders, doing really short underwater part.
  • Hi there. It looks like you've gotten a lot of feedback. Here is mine. Breaststroke is a stroke that seems to vary a lot depending on strength, flexibility, and style. I would suggest finding what works for you and modifying over time. My suggestions are: 1) for most swimmers, the kick is a big part of a fast breaststroke. Practicing the kick and making sure you are fully closing the kick is important. I usually look for a strong finish as demonstrated by the feet being bumped into each other by the thrust of the kick; 2) Your arms are coming way back towards your body. Perhaps this works for your style and strength. For a 50 ***, I usually pull more in front of me and do not have such a return toward my body. For a 50 ***, my pull is almost more like a modified skull with a rapid turnover. This keeps me very streamline and my hips and kick higher in the water. For a 100 and 200, I have more of a longer pull. For IM's, it is somewhere in between. I am a breaststroker and have had to modify over time due to injuries, strength shifts, and less flexibility. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    Ok, it’s a month till Kazan Masters WC. This is what I have to the present: (25m and 50m filmed) www.youtube.com/watch Last 4 weeks I’ve been doing mostly aerobic swimming. Now it’s time for more of speed work. I’m thinking to stick with the following program (intending to taper two weeks before my first start on Aug 11): Monday Warup – 400m, legs&arms drills – 400m, 4х 15, 2x25 and 1x50 @ 100% Tuesady Warup – 400m, 3 sets of 4x50 @ 90% @ 2:00 with good relaxed swim between sets. Wednesday Recovery, slow, relaxed swimming – 800m, 400m free, 200m *** Thursday Warup – 400m, 100m @ 100%, rest 2 min; 75m @ 100%, rest 1,5 min; 2x50m @ 100%, rest 1min. Repeat the set if possible. Friday Warup – 400m, legs&arms drills – 400m, 10x25 @ 100% @ 1:30
  • Sorry it took me so long to respond,but not much to say.At this angle I may be missing somethings,but this looks good.Much improved. Good luck at Kazan.