Help needed to impove my breaststroke

Former Member
Former Member
Hello fellow-swimmers! Could you please check out videos of my breaststroke. So far 50m *** is my best distance. But for the last two years I haven’t been able to break 36+ seconds limit (SC). That’s a snippet of 50m at race speed: www.youtube.com/watch I have more videos, but so far the forum allows me to add only one. Mistakes, drills to fix them, stretching exercises? I’m total amateur, 35 years old, it’s my 6th year of competitive swimming. Thanks!
Parents
  • Hi there. It looks like you've gotten a lot of feedback. Here is mine. Breaststroke is a stroke that seems to vary a lot depending on strength, flexibility, and style. I would suggest finding what works for you and modifying over time. My suggestions are: 1) for most swimmers, the kick is a big part of a fast breaststroke. Practicing the kick and making sure you are fully closing the kick is important. I usually look for a strong finish as demonstrated by the feet being bumped into each other by the thrust of the kick; 2) Your arms are coming way back towards your body. Perhaps this works for your style and strength. For a 50 ***, I usually pull more in front of me and do not have such a return toward my body. For a 50 ***, my pull is almost more like a modified skull with a rapid turnover. This keeps me very streamline and my hips and kick higher in the water. For a 100 and 200, I have more of a longer pull. For IM's, it is somewhere in between. I am a breaststroker and have had to modify over time due to injuries, strength shifts, and less flexibility. Good luck!
  • Hi there. It looks like you've gotten a lot of feedback. Here is mine. Breaststroke is a stroke that seems to vary a lot depending on strength, flexibility, and style. I would suggest finding what works for you and modifying over time. My suggestions are: 1) for most swimmers, the kick is a big part of a fast breaststroke. Practicing the kick and making sure you are fully closing the kick is important. I usually look for a strong finish as demonstrated by the feet being bumped into each other by the thrust of the kick; 2) Your arms are coming way back towards your body. Perhaps this works for your style and strength. For a 50 ***, I usually pull more in front of me and do not have such a return toward my body. For a 50 ***, my pull is almost more like a modified skull with a rapid turnover. This keeps me very streamline and my hips and kick higher in the water. For a 100 and 200, I have more of a longer pull. For IM's, it is somewhere in between. I am a breaststroker and have had to modify over time due to injuries, strength shifts, and less flexibility. Good luck!
Children
No Data