Swimming in the desert

What do I need to know about keeping myself healthy when swimming outdoors in a warm pool with warm air temperatures? Today was my first, outdoor swimming workout in a 25 meter pool. Usually I swim 3,500 yards, 4-5 days/week in a very well maintained indoor pool but have just moved from Virginia to Saudi for several months. Should I have special goggles, wear sunscreen and most importantly should I adjust the intensity of the workout with more rest between sets, and extra water on the side? (I should have checked for flags before doing backstroke, ouch!)
  • I have learned from the lifeguards that they try to keep the pool at 84F but it is usually at 86 since that is the temperature most folks like for swimming. They also told me that they will be putting the flags up soon which makes me very happy 'cause my backstroke is suffering a bit without flags and a ceiling for guidance. Today was cloudy so the water was cooler which felt good so I decided to work on backstroke since the sun would not be in my eyes. I tangled with the lanes lines a number of times. Does that mean I have a side that is significantly weaker...seems the left side kept running into the lines. Is there a method to keeping straight when swimming outdoors with only the sky to follow?
  • When the water is on the warm side (83), I bring two bottles of water. One is to stay hydrated and the other is to pour over my head and upper body to cool me off between repeats. When it gets really warm, I find I have to pop out of the pool and sit on the deck for a few minutes. The suggestion to swim in the dark is a good one. I prefer early morning (water is cleaner, having been filtered all night), but evening could also work.
  • To answer your question about the backstroke: your stroke is clearly asymmetrical in some way, but there are a few reasons that might explain the cause. This could be because you are weaker on one side, but it could also be because you are crossing over. Since you are swimming outdoors, you should try tilting your chin slightly downwards. You won't be looking directly into the sun, and you will be able to spot where you are in the lane, adjusting your stroke accordingly to maintain your ideal position. Hope this helps!
  • Glenn, I have done the cool water cool down it feels so good! Winter has arrived to this area so the air is cooler and the water as well but then I have heard they are working on trying to bring the pool temperature down. I am not the only one to mention that it was too warm but not sure most patrons will enjoy it at 80F. Swimspire, I tried the chin down thing it felt really awkward so decided to ride the line rather than fight it. I do think that in all my strokes my left side is the weakest. (Not sure if I should focus on doing more drills with the left side.) I plan to eventually post all my strokes for guidance since I am now swimming alone. My daughter video'd fly yesterday...very sad...and revealing. Can't bring myself to post it!
  • To answer your question about the backstroke: your stroke is clearly asymmetrical in some way, but there are a few reasons that might explain the cause. This could be because you are weaker on one side, but it could also be because you are crossing over. /QUOTE] Just reviewed a video of my backstroke. Upon entry my right hand clearly passes 12 and my left hand is on 12. In backstroke should I be aiming to enter at 11 and 1? Amazing what a video can reveal!