Swimming in the desert

What do I need to know about keeping myself healthy when swimming outdoors in a warm pool with warm air temperatures? Today was my first, outdoor swimming workout in a 25 meter pool. Usually I swim 3,500 yards, 4-5 days/week in a very well maintained indoor pool but have just moved from Virginia to Saudi for several months. Should I have special goggles, wear sunscreen and most importantly should I adjust the intensity of the workout with more rest between sets, and extra water on the side? (I should have checked for flags before doing backstroke, ouch!)
Parents
  • I have learned from the lifeguards that they try to keep the pool at 84F but it is usually at 86 since that is the temperature most folks like for swimming. They also told me that they will be putting the flags up soon which makes me very happy 'cause my backstroke is suffering a bit without flags and a ceiling for guidance. Today was cloudy so the water was cooler which felt good so I decided to work on backstroke since the sun would not be in my eyes. I tangled with the lanes lines a number of times. Does that mean I have a side that is significantly weaker...seems the left side kept running into the lines. Is there a method to keeping straight when swimming outdoors with only the sky to follow?
  • I have learned from the lifeguards that they try to keep the pool at 84F but it is usually at 86 since that is the temperature most folks like for swimming. They also told me that they will be putting the flags up soon which makes me very happy 'cause my backstroke is suffering a bit without flags and a ceiling for guidance. Today was cloudy so the water was cooler which felt good so I decided to work on backstroke since the sun would not be in my eyes. I tangled with the lanes lines a number of times. Does that mean I have a side that is significantly weaker...seems the left side kept running into the lines. Is there a method to keeping straight when swimming outdoors with only the sky to follow?
Children
No Data