Swimming in the desert

What do I need to know about keeping myself healthy when swimming outdoors in a warm pool with warm air temperatures? Today was my first, outdoor swimming workout in a 25 meter pool. Usually I swim 3,500 yards, 4-5 days/week in a very well maintained indoor pool but have just moved from Virginia to Saudi for several months. Should I have special goggles, wear sunscreen and most importantly should I adjust the intensity of the workout with more rest between sets, and extra water on the side? (I should have checked for flags before doing backstroke, ouch!)
Parents
  • To answer your question about the backstroke: your stroke is clearly asymmetrical in some way, but there are a few reasons that might explain the cause. This could be because you are weaker on one side, but it could also be because you are crossing over. Since you are swimming outdoors, you should try tilting your chin slightly downwards. You won't be looking directly into the sun, and you will be able to spot where you are in the lane, adjusting your stroke accordingly to maintain your ideal position. Hope this helps!
  • To answer your question about the backstroke: your stroke is clearly asymmetrical in some way, but there are a few reasons that might explain the cause. This could be because you are weaker on one side, but it could also be because you are crossing over. Since you are swimming outdoors, you should try tilting your chin slightly downwards. You won't be looking directly into the sun, and you will be able to spot where you are in the lane, adjusting your stroke accordingly to maintain your ideal position. Hope this helps!
Children
No Data