Recovery & Swimming After Hip Arthroscopy

Have any of you had hip arthroscopy? If so, I would be interested in hearing your experience post-op. I would like your suggestions on how to keep fit before I am allowed to return to the pool, and I am interested to hear what your return to swimming was like after recovery. My surgery (psoas release and possible labral tear) is scheduled for December 17, and I was told it would probably be three weeks before I am allowed to return to swimming (no kicking allowed), 3-4 months before I can return to full swimming, and 5 months before I can return to competition. How does this compare to your experience? Thanks!
  • Nationals in 2016 I age up so I will be going up . is it N carolina? Yep! See you there! :cheerleader: 2016 Nationwide U.S. Masters Swimming Spring National ChampionshipGreensboro Aquatic Center, Greensboro, North Carolina April 28 - May 1, 2016 Short Course Yards 2016 U.S. Masters Swimming Summer National Championship Mount Hood Community College, Gresham, Oregon August 18-21, 2016 (preliminary) Long Course Meters
  • COOL ! I age up to 70 OMG !!! I'm getting old but still am at it!
  • Hey Elaine! How is it going? Have you been in the pool, since you got your stitches removed? Hope your progress is going well!! Yep! I posted on the "Swim Happy" page. My first day back was Saturday, and I've been in each day since then. :D Since I won't be permitted to kick for another 3 months, I am doing all my yardage pulling and sculling. I'm only putting in 2,000/day to save my shoulders, but they are 2,000 yards of pure heaven! :bliss: After my swims, I do my PT exercises, including a lot of rotator cuff exercises to keep my shoulders healthy. They're going to have to carry the load for quite awhile yet. :weightlifter: Thanks for your post, Moody. I appreciate you checking in and wishing me well! :agree:
  • Welcome back to the water, be careful on your shoulders ;)
  • Isn't water great. When I was rehabbing my shoulder, I did 2 weeks of drylands only. That seemed fine at the time, but when I got back in the water I felt home.
  • I'm happy to hear you're back in the water Elaine! Enjoy, be smart, and you'll be back sooner than predicted I'm sure!!
  • Isn't water great. When I was rehabbing my shoulder, I did 2 weeks of drylands only. That seemed fine at the time, but when I got back in the water I felt home. I'm happy to hear you're back in the water Elaine! Enjoy, be smart, and you'll be back sooner than predicted I'm sure!! Thanks, Steve, King Frog, and Bobinator! It IS great to be "home" again, and I will be very careful not to screw it up! :agree: I definitely won't be walking miles around Montreal (or anywhere else!) any time soon. :nono:
  • Hey Elaine! How is it going? Have you been in the pool, since you got your stitches removed? Hope your progress is going well!!
  • I'm glad to see you are back home in the water.Please don't overwork your shoulders. Thanks, Orca! I'll be careful, I promise. :D
  • Well, I'm not going to practice tonight in Elgin, il. It's -2 right now and going down to -13 at midnight!!! I'll do extra at the gym on thur.