Recovery & Swimming After Hip Arthroscopy

Have any of you had hip arthroscopy? If so, I would be interested in hearing your experience post-op. I would like your suggestions on how to keep fit before I am allowed to return to the pool, and I am interested to hear what your return to swimming was like after recovery. My surgery (psoas release and possible labral tear) is scheduled for December 17, and I was told it would probably be three weeks before I am allowed to return to swimming (no kicking allowed), 3-4 months before I can return to full swimming, and 5 months before I can return to competition. How does this compare to your experience? Thanks!
Parents
  • Hey Elaine! How is it going? Have you been in the pool, since you got your stitches removed? Hope your progress is going well!! Yep! I posted on the "Swim Happy" page. My first day back was Saturday, and I've been in each day since then. :D Since I won't be permitted to kick for another 3 months, I am doing all my yardage pulling and sculling. I'm only putting in 2,000/day to save my shoulders, but they are 2,000 yards of pure heaven! :bliss: After my swims, I do my PT exercises, including a lot of rotator cuff exercises to keep my shoulders healthy. They're going to have to carry the load for quite awhile yet. :weightlifter: Thanks for your post, Moody. I appreciate you checking in and wishing me well! :agree:
  • Hey Elaine! How is it going? Have you been in the pool, since you got your stitches removed? Hope your progress is going well!! Yep! I posted on the "Swim Happy" page. My first day back was Saturday, and I've been in each day since then. :D Since I won't be permitted to kick for another 3 months, I am doing all my yardage pulling and sculling. I'm only putting in 2,000/day to save my shoulders, but they are 2,000 yards of pure heaven! :bliss: After my swims, I do my PT exercises, including a lot of rotator cuff exercises to keep my shoulders healthy. They're going to have to carry the load for quite awhile yet. :weightlifter: Thanks for your post, Moody. I appreciate you checking in and wishing me well! :agree:
Children
No Data