Recovery & Swimming After Hip Arthroscopy

Have any of you had hip arthroscopy? If so, I would be interested in hearing your experience post-op. I would like your suggestions on how to keep fit before I am allowed to return to the pool, and I am interested to hear what your return to swimming was like after recovery. My surgery (psoas release and possible labral tear) is scheduled for December 17, and I was told it would probably be three weeks before I am allowed to return to swimming (no kicking allowed), 3-4 months before I can return to full swimming, and 5 months before I can return to competition. How does this compare to your experience? Thanks!
  • You have us on the forum to lean on!!
  • How are you doing Elaine? By the time you read this it will be 2015 a new year for you & all of us to have a better year!!!
  • How are you doing Elaine? By the time you read this it will be 2015 a new year for you & all of us to have a better year!!! I beat you to it; we're not there yet! Thanks so much for checking in; I appreciate your concern. :agree: It seems like my recovery is going better than what I was told to expect, so I'm a happy camper! :ohyeah: The pain has been less than expected; I took far less than the Oxycodone I was prescribed. I'm now just taking Aleve and doing just fine with an ice pack if I start feeling a little sore. On Friday, I get my stitches out and get to return to the pool (no kicking). :bliss: Happy New Year, Orca! :party2:
  • So happy to hear about your healing success, Elaine! Keep it up! I know you'll be back in the water in no time :)
  • That is good news.Heal fast ! So happy to hear about your healing success, Elaine! Keep it up! I know you'll be back in the water in no time :) Thanks, guys! :D
  • Happy 2015 Elaine! You're going to have a great year!
  • I also weaned myself of the oxi within 2 weeks after my many operations. Good stuff in the beginning, but it has some side effects that are not so good. A hint - 1st time back in the water - just stand there & feel the presence of the water around you. It's like a hug from a good friend! Take it easy starting back. You're whole body took a shock & will return, it takes time. I really need to meet you at some national meet. I missed you at Mesa nationals. Oh, I will, and I plan on giving it a BIG hug back! :bliss: Our community's indoor pool is just on the other side of the floor-to-ceiling windows that divide it from the gym. Every day, I've been in the gym using the SciFit arm cycling machine, and I just stare at the water. The few times there was somebody swimming, I just stared at them with envy. (Although, I was happy for them, I would have preferred being in their lane instead!) I will be very careful! Before my operation, pain prevented me from kicking, so I got pretty good at just pulling all of my strokes and using my good hip and leg for balance. It should be an easy adjustment when I return to the pool; however I'll probably just swim freestyle for quite awhile to be safe. Yeah, we messed up at Mesa! We should have met then. Perhaps sometime in the future we'll cross paths (or lanes!).
  • I also weaned myself of the oxi within 2 weeks after my many operations. Good stuff in the beginning, but it has some side effects that are not so good. A hint - 1st time back in the water - just stand there & feel the presence of the water around you. It's like a hug from a good friend! Take it easy starting back. You're whole body took a shock & will return, it takes time. I really need to meet you at some national meet. I missed you at Mesa nationals.
  • Nationals in 2016 I age up so I will be going up . is it N carolina?