indoor pool and chlorine allergy

Former Member
Former Member
I swin all summer in an outdoor pool with no problems, but 2 years in a row now when i started swimming indoors i start to wheeze and my asthma flares up which is normally well controlled. Research tells me the chlorine can't escape like an outdoor pool, and salt water pool no better, although I haven't tried that yet. Any suggestions like a special mask etc Robert Thanks I hate to give it up
  • I find that I have more trouble indoor as well. My pool has a giant fan that helps move the air, which also helps with my breathing, but ultimately, I just deal with the symptoms. Over the winter months, my tolerance for the poor air quality improves, but I always keep my inhaler pool side.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Try a nose clip to help keep the chlorinated water out of your sinus cavities: www.swimoutlet.com/.../
  • I know the feeling--my Y seems to be the worst w/ this. The local h.s. pool which I use whenever possible is a lot better--it's indoors but doesn't cause nearly the symptoms! I wonder if maintenance in the latter case has to do with it also. I do some practices in a pool w/ salt water--but I find that takes some adjusting too. For some reason, I'll get more queasy in a salt water pool--and I have to come ready for that. I've found that in that instance, a couple antacids seem to help before a swim. But maybe that's a placebo. :)
  • You can become sensitized to chlorine although it's not common. There have been a few indoor pools over the years that my nose has reacted to almost like hayfever. It's usually something else in the water, or in a couple of instances it was mold on deck or in the locker room. There is a type of pool stabilizer that I react to as well. The solution: hot soapy showers after swimming and a nose clip or get used to using a neti pot. The only kink there is that you have to bring sterile water with you, but it always does the trick!
  • I've tried several nose clips and found that only trygon can keep out the water. They are expensive and appear large/bulky but do not pose a problem when in the pool exercising (wouldn't be good for competing). They are adjustable and lock tight. Here are links with info: usfreediving.org/usaa-info-merchandise-nose clip.htm
  • Yeah - most of get that feeling win indoor pools load up the chems. & air quality suffers. I have not tried "neti pots" others have had some better results from them.
  • The solution: hot soapy showers after swimming and a nose clip or get used to using a neti pot. The only kink there is that you have to bring sterile water with you, but it always does the trick! The neti pot (personally I use a sinus wash spray bottle instead) is a good idea. I use about a teaspoon of 50-50 table salt-baking soda and mix it with tap water. I guess sterile water isn't a bad idea. Using it immediately after you get out of the pool for best result. Also, a hair/body wash with EDTA that is a chelating agent and works to neutralize/remove the cholorine from your hair and skin. Dan