indoor pool and chlorine allergy

Former Member
Former Member
I swin all summer in an outdoor pool with no problems, but 2 years in a row now when i started swimming indoors i start to wheeze and my asthma flares up which is normally well controlled. Research tells me the chlorine can't escape like an outdoor pool, and salt water pool no better, although I haven't tried that yet. Any suggestions like a special mask etc Robert Thanks I hate to give it up
Parents
  • You can become sensitized to chlorine although it's not common. There have been a few indoor pools over the years that my nose has reacted to almost like hayfever. It's usually something else in the water, or in a couple of instances it was mold on deck or in the locker room. There is a type of pool stabilizer that I react to as well. The solution: hot soapy showers after swimming and a nose clip or get used to using a neti pot. The only kink there is that you have to bring sterile water with you, but it always does the trick!
  • You can become sensitized to chlorine although it's not common. There have been a few indoor pools over the years that my nose has reacted to almost like hayfever. It's usually something else in the water, or in a couple of instances it was mold on deck or in the locker room. There is a type of pool stabilizer that I react to as well. The solution: hot soapy showers after swimming and a nose clip or get used to using a neti pot. The only kink there is that you have to bring sterile water with you, but it always does the trick!
Children
No Data