indoor pool and chlorine allergy

Former Member
Former Member
I swin all summer in an outdoor pool with no problems, but 2 years in a row now when i started swimming indoors i start to wheeze and my asthma flares up which is normally well controlled. Research tells me the chlorine can't escape like an outdoor pool, and salt water pool no better, although I haven't tried that yet. Any suggestions like a special mask etc Robert Thanks I hate to give it up
Parents
  • I know the feeling--my Y seems to be the worst w/ this. The local h.s. pool which I use whenever possible is a lot better--it's indoors but doesn't cause nearly the symptoms! I wonder if maintenance in the latter case has to do with it also. I do some practices in a pool w/ salt water--but I find that takes some adjusting too. For some reason, I'll get more queasy in a salt water pool--and I have to come ready for that. I've found that in that instance, a couple antacids seem to help before a swim. But maybe that's a placebo. :)
  • I know the feeling--my Y seems to be the worst w/ this. The local h.s. pool which I use whenever possible is a lot better--it's indoors but doesn't cause nearly the symptoms! I wonder if maintenance in the latter case has to do with it also. I do some practices in a pool w/ salt water--but I find that takes some adjusting too. For some reason, I'll get more queasy in a salt water pool--and I have to come ready for that. I've found that in that instance, a couple antacids seem to help before a swim. But maybe that's a placebo. :)
Children
No Data