Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
  • Hi, You want to see if you can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. you've been 5:10.. you think I can do better. what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, SPRINT with rest B) increase endurance, Do longer sets, aerobic set and speed work. what were your splits in your 5:10 500? What are your recent times for 50, 100, 200, & 1000 what suit did you wear Tell us about your training x per week sets yards per practice times in practice ... You can Swim Faster Faster Hi Ande, Here's a link to one of my typical 500 free splits: www.usms.org/.../swim.php In my opinion, my biggest weakness is that I don't have much in the way of raw speed. On a good day, I can go around 1:56-1:57 in a 200 free, and about :55 for a 100. On the other hand, I have pretty good endurance, with a 1000 free time of 10:48. I train 4-5 times a week, about 4000-4500 yds each workout. I also lift weights 2-3x per week and do a lot of running and cycling.
  • i cant even remember 30. that was so many broken bones and surgeries ago. its sad when you take an xray of your shoulder and can see all the ribs that have been broken or take an xray of your lungs for pnemonia and see the anchors and screws holding your shoulder together. ug!!! the 500 certainly is an interesting race. it sure will look odd on the blocks in san antonio if i get sandwhiched between 6'5" stewartcarroll and 6'5 pwb, some might look right past me and think nobodys on my block. oh look a shaved ewok! eeeewwwww! lol
  • the 500 certainly is an interesting race. it sure will look odd on the blocks in san antonio if i get sandwhiched between 6'5" stewartcarroll and 6'5 pwb, some might look right past me and think nobodys on my block. oh look a shaved ewok! eeeewwwww! lol It may look odd but own up......you can't wait and it sure will be fun!!! and you may be a shaved ewok in San Antonio but you are one fast little Ewok. I cant wait Mr Motivator.
  • i cant even remember 30. that was so many broken bones and surgeries ago. its sad when you take an xray of your shoulder and can see all the ribs that have been broken or take an xray of your lungs for pnemonia and see the anchors and screws holding your shoulder together. ug!!! the 500 certainly is an interesting race. it sure will look odd on the blocks in san antonio if i get sandwhiched between 6'5" stewartcarroll and 6'5 pwd, some might look right past me and think nobodys on my block. oh look a shaved ewok! eeeewwwww! lol This isn't going to help, but I'm also 6'5 and I'm planning on being at San Antonio!
  • so i get to wear paddles and fins that get me to 6'5" as well, right? i mean just to be fair. :D
  • so i get to wear paddles and fins that get me to 6'5" as well, right? i mean just to be fair. :D Sounds to me like you won't have any trouble spotting the competition @sunruh!
  • it sure will look odd on the blocks in san antonio if i get sandwhiched between 6'5" stewartcarroll and 6'5 pwb, some might look right past me They might, but no one's going to look past you once the race starts!
  • Bit more progress today. I had set an intermediate goal of swimming an 800 free SCM under 9:20 this season. Just went a 9:19, untapered. Beat my previous Master's pr by 14 seconds. Really helped to have someone next to me going about the same speed (okay, just a bit faster-thanks anyway, Robbie!). Going to change my 800 goal this season down to 9:10.
  • Nice swim! Congrats! I'm coming off the most serious injury of my life and just signed up to swim the 800 free SCM on November 15th. I have no idea what to expect. At my healthiest, I go under 10 minutes. I'm hoping for somewhere in the low-10 minute range, but would be thrilled to go under 10 again. Wish me luck! Thanks! Really starting to like doing the 800. Not as brutal as the 1500, but more interesting than the 400. It was the very first event I swam when I got back into competitive swimming, after a 22 year break. Best of luck with your 800. Just don't overdo it if you're still recovering from an injury.
  • Bit more progress today. I had set an intermediate goal of swimming an 800 free SCM under 9:20 this season. Just went a 9:19, untapered. Beat my previous Master's pr by 14 seconds. Really helped to have someone next to me going about the same speed (okay, just a bit faster-thanks anyway, Robbie!). Going to change my 800 goal this season down to 9:10. Nice swim! Congrats! I'm coming off the most serious injury of my life and just signed up to swim the 800 free SCM on November 15th. I have no idea what to expect. At my healthiest, I go under 10 minutes. I'm hoping for somewhere in the low-10 minute range, but would be thrilled to go under 10 again. Wish me luck!