Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • Nice swim! Congrats! I'm coming off the most serious injury of my life and just signed up to swim the 800 free SCM on November 15th. I have no idea what to expect. At my healthiest, I go under 10 minutes. I'm hoping for somewhere in the low-10 minute range, but would be thrilled to go under 10 again. Wish me luck! Thanks! Really starting to like doing the 800. Not as brutal as the 1500, but more interesting than the 400. It was the very first event I swam when I got back into competitive swimming, after a 22 year break. Best of luck with your 800. Just don't overdo it if you're still recovering from an injury.
  • Nice swim! Congrats! I'm coming off the most serious injury of my life and just signed up to swim the 800 free SCM on November 15th. I have no idea what to expect. At my healthiest, I go under 10 minutes. I'm hoping for somewhere in the low-10 minute range, but would be thrilled to go under 10 again. Wish me luck! Thanks! Really starting to like doing the 800. Not as brutal as the 1500, but more interesting than the 400. It was the very first event I swam when I got back into competitive swimming, after a 22 year break. Best of luck with your 800. Just don't overdo it if you're still recovering from an injury.
Children
No Data