Next year's goal: Sub 5 minute 500 free

Trying to set one solid goal for next year. After a mediocre season, I've decided to focus on one event only for next year. I want to see if I can break 5 minutes for a 500 free. Back in my college days (almost 30 years ago), my best was a 4:47, and I would routinely swim just under 5 in most dual meets. Since I started Masters swimming 4 years ago, my best has been a 5:10. Not bad, but I think I can do better. Now here's the question for all the middle-distance studs out there: what are some good workouts/drills that you can do to A) increase raw speed, and B) increase endurance. As I mentioned in a different thread, I have been dealing with a mild anemia issue, which I'm pretty sure has been resolved.
Parents
  • Bit more progress today. I had set an intermediate goal of swimming an 800 free SCM under 9:20 this season. Just went a 9:19, untapered. Beat my previous Master's pr by 14 seconds. Really helped to have someone next to me going about the same speed (okay, just a bit faster-thanks anyway, Robbie!). Going to change my 800 goal this season down to 9:10. Nice swim! Congrats! I'm coming off the most serious injury of my life and just signed up to swim the 800 free SCM on November 15th. I have no idea what to expect. At my healthiest, I go under 10 minutes. I'm hoping for somewhere in the low-10 minute range, but would be thrilled to go under 10 again. Wish me luck!
  • Bit more progress today. I had set an intermediate goal of swimming an 800 free SCM under 9:20 this season. Just went a 9:19, untapered. Beat my previous Master's pr by 14 seconds. Really helped to have someone next to me going about the same speed (okay, just a bit faster-thanks anyway, Robbie!). Going to change my 800 goal this season down to 9:10. Nice swim! Congrats! I'm coming off the most serious injury of my life and just signed up to swim the 800 free SCM on November 15th. I have no idea what to expect. At my healthiest, I go under 10 minutes. I'm hoping for somewhere in the low-10 minute range, but would be thrilled to go under 10 again. Wish me luck!
Children
No Data