100 Yard Free Style Strategy

Former Member
Former Member
I wanted some advice on my pacing for the 100 Yard Freestyle. My latest freestyle times were 58:86 100 yard free and a 26:56 50 yard free. These were not tapered. I'm kinda worried about this because in my small little league I was reading times and saw someone swim a high 25 second 50 free, yet his 100 freestyle time was 54 flat.. Just want as much device on pacing as I can before this final meet for the season.
  • while i am no expert on either race, the 50 should be *way* faster than half of your 100. roughly the 50 should be about 2 secs faster than half of that 100 in a scy pool. a lot also depends on if you are a sprinter or middle distance or distance type of person (or total freak like me that does all). steve
  • It does depend on if you are a sprinter or a mid-distance swimmer.A good rule of thumb for many is swim the first 50 of a 100 about .7-1 sec slower than your 50 and the second 2-3 sec slower than the first. So for you with that 50 you could be between 56.52 and 58.12.
  • I wanted some advice on my pacing for the 100 Yard Freestyle. My latest freestyle times were 58:86 100 yard free and a 26:56 50 yard free. These were not tapered. I'm kinda worried about this because in my small little league I was reading times and saw someone swim a high 25 second 50 free, yet his 100 freestyle time was 54 flat.. Just want as much device on pacing as I can before this final meet for the season. you want advice on training or a device to allow you to swim faster for devices consider invisible fins. the diff between 54.0 & 58.8 is pretty signficant how often, far and fast are you training? how many days weeks or months have you been training? what's your age? your height weight? whens your meet? What suit will you wear in your race?
  • Splash and dash. Take out the first 50 as close to your hard 50 as possible, then hang on for the second 50. The most important part is not letting your stroke fall apart. Everyone else will be just as tired, you only have to keep a little more technique than them. If you do not consider yourself a sprinter, negative split the race. The race is not over until you touch the wall.
  • My 100 race strategy is: 25 strong (85-90%), 25 build (so 100% into the wall), 25 all out, 25 whatever's left in the tank. This usually results (for me) in the split that the folks above mention.