Flip turns

Former Member
Former Member
I am finally embracing the journey of making my entry/exit of the flags better. Just getting killed! One big question I'm unsure of b/c I have had coaches push both sides. Feet on wall with belly button facing the sky, push off and twist AFTER off the wall. Or slight turn mid flip, feet/belly button pointing to maybe 10 or 2 oclock and push off. Is there any definitive 'right' way? My coach now is on the belly button to sky mantra and I have to say my turns are snappier, but I'm struggling a ton to get rotated. If I'm belly to sky do I begin to twist while still on the wall? Thanks for any other tips. The breathing component of no breaths into and out of the wall is tough wow!
  • The right way would probably be whatever is fastest in sprint distances, and whatever saves the most energy in longer swims.
  • I am finally embracing the journey of making my entry/exit of the flags better. Just getting killed! One big question I'm unsure of b/c I have had coaches push both sides. Feet on wall with belly button facing the sky, push off and twist AFTER off the wall. Or slight turn mid flip, feet/belly button pointing to maybe 10 or 2 oclock and push off. Is there any definitive 'right' way? My coach now is on the belly button to sky mantra and I have to say my turns are snappier, but I'm struggling a ton to get rotated. If I'm belly to sky do I begin to twist while still on the wall? Thanks for any other tips. The breathing component of no breaths into and out of the wall is tough wow! The way I was taught was to flip, push off and twist. You want to minimize your time on the wall so any twisting or re positioning on the wall increases your time on the wall, and in my opinion is wasted motion.. If you want to improve on the lack of breathing in and out of turns do so breath control sets. start with 50's and work your way up. Try breathing every 3 ,5, 7 ,9 strokes by 50. It takes some time to master a flip turn, but keep working at it. Improving your turns a sure way to lowering your times.
  • Breathing early out of a turn is certainly a problem.You want to be under the backwash turbulance that follows you.Not breathing into a turn is more complicated.Breathing generally slows people down a little and raising your head to get a big gulp of air before the turn will slow you down.Taking a smooth breath as you go into the turn is preferable to coming up too soon off the wall.