Injury Avoidance: Open Turn w/o Aggravating Lumbar Spine?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi:I'm finding that turning is aggravating low-back joint issues and wonder if there's a technique out there that specifically addresses the issue. (Main problem is twisting to get back on my stomach while doing crawl.) Any suggestions appreciated.Thx, Jon
  • Turns don't cause back problems for me, but when my back is hurting the turns I definately feel.Are you twisting before feet release wall? If so, that might be a cause.Have you tried planting your feet and flipping slightly rotated Biedermann style (to decrease the amount rotation needed after the push)?
  • if you flip straight over on a freestyle turn, stagger your feet on the wall. when you push off, you will automatically end up on your side, and the rest of the turn onto your stomach can be accomplished by making sure your first pull is with your bottom hand. the entire flip turn can be accomplished this way without torqueing your body.
  • I have found that I always flip more to the right on free flips, I guess I have learned to do this cuz of long ago back problems. Try to see if this works for you. Yes an open turn will forgive some of this , but you will need to rotate BEFORE you push off.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Thanks everyone for helpful input. I've been playing with this and found that it was twisting while pushing off the wall that was really killing me. Also, taking my time returning to stomach also helped a lot. Jon