Stroke analysis in Bay Area CA

Former Member
Former Member
I am a newbie to this Forum. I am wondering if anyone has insight into facilities that do comprehensive stroke analysis, and formulate a great dry land and pool training program in the Bay Area of CA? I live in the Santa Cruz area, but can drive anywhere within reason. I am hoping to start training for amateur competitions, but want to really do it right from the beginning. I'm planning on spending this year working on technique and conditioning. My background is in many sports, but marathon ing most recently, until a knee condition and surgery put that on the back burner of life. Any insight or referrals are much appreciated.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I suggest you try to find a Masters team to train with. You'll find that a lot of them have coaches on deck who can help you with stroke correction. To find a program in your area: 1) go to usms.org 2) move your mouse over the red "Local Programs" tab 3) select "Places to Swim" 4) enter your zip code and search You are lucky to live in an area with a lot of good Masters teams and an abundance of nice facilities. Good luck and welcome to Masters Swimming! Anna Lea Matysek
  • Hi, welcome to the forum. It is good to hear that you are interested in starting on a serious swim training program! Swimming is a great low-impact sport that will allow you to develop strength and conditioning and compete with a relatively low risk of injuries as compared to other sports. While I am not based in the Bay Area, I operate Swimspire, an online swim coaching site that offers comprehensive stroke analysis, customized workouts and instructional videos. www.swimspire.com/.../ Swimming is not entirely injury-free if stroke technique is not emphasized, and it is nice to see that you are interested in taking the right approach to training by getting your stroke analyzed. My philosophy is that every swimmer, whether beginner or advanced, has very specific needs and I take a customized approach to the stroke analysis or customized workouts by providing the swimmer with the precise drills that he/she needs to correct any flaws in technique. What I wanted to do with Swimspire is to make use of all the technology that we have and provide my coaching services to swimmers anywhere in the world. I'd be happy to work with you - let me know what you think! And whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck in your new swimming career!
  • Former Member
    I suggest you try to find a Masters team to train with. You'll find that a lot of them have coaches on deck who can help you with stroke correction. To find a program in your area: 1) go to usms.org 2) move your mouse over the red "Local Programs" tab 3) select "Places to Swim" 4) enter your zip code and search You are lucky to live in an area with a lot of good Masters teams and an abundance of nice facilities. Good luck and welcome to Masters Swimming! Anna Lea Matysek Thanks! I have been trying to join up with our Santa Cruz chapter. Just having online sign up issues, but thank you for the reply. I am looking forward to building my skills. Yes, we have alot of great facilities here. I swim in a very nice pool, though not olypic size, it is 25ft and I can still get a good workout. Thanks again!
  • Former Member
    So I went to my local chapter of Masters Swimming, excited to meet the coaches, and hopefully get into a good program for learning technique and sharpening my skills. I had emailed the coach ahead of time. Letting him know that I was coming to observe a session and meet him and such. So he knew I was coming. I was so dissapointed when I got there. He and another younger female"coach", were not very warm with welcomes, and he jumbled through what their program was, and didnt ask me a single question about what I was looking for, or why I joined. The female coach, or whatever she was didnt even acknowledge me, and she passed by me three times texting on her phone without so much as a smile. Their training session was a bunch of stuff scribbled on a board, and while the club members swam, the lady continued to text on her phone, while the male coach went and worked out on his own. I left after 15 minutes. Unwelcoming, uninspiring, and not what I was hoping for. Guess I need to hire private trainer or coach. Bummed. The pool was nice. That's about all I can say.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Well, this is 3 years too late but I host private video stroke analysis here in Scotts Valley. Hope this can help others searching for this type of service ---> www.tricoachmartin.com/swim-technique