training for long course in a short course pool

I'm thinking of competing at Long Course Nationals this summer, and I don't have access to a long course pool. Is there are way to train for long course when you only have access to a 25 yard pool?
  • I love long course,but train almost exclusively short course.What I do is not push off every other turn and swim 75s when I would swim 50s,125s when I would swim 100s and 225s when I would swim 200s.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Long course is constant swimming and kicking. Turning around without touching and keeping moving is the closest- except for open water whenever it's doable where you live. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I say just train. Current thinking by many coaches is that it's better to swim mostly short course, even at the elite level. So swim a lot and you'll be ok. Unless you're in my age group, in which case you'll probably drown so better not come.
  • If I ever swim a lcm meet, I think Allen's advice is spot-on.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    If I ever swim a lcm meet, I think Allen's advice is spot-on. I have to agree with Michael agreeing with Allen. Granted, I would be curious to how Allen does the "no touch" turn while swimming breastroke. That would seem to be awkward and difficult to do.
  • I have to agree with Michael agreeing with Allen. Granted, I would be curious to how Allen does the "no touch" turn while swimming breastroke. That would seem to be awkward and difficult to do. I touch, do then a regular open turn,don't push off or push off very weakly and then start swimming. As well as more accurately mimicking the number of strokes for LCM, it adds the challenge of having to accelerate out of every other turn.
  • I've never drastically altered my training regimen when I've only been able to swim SCY and I've had fine performances doing it that way. Personally, I find turning around without pushing off to be too disruptive to my pace. Reversing directions without pushing off the wall doesn't mimic LCM. I need a few short strokes to get going from a dead stop, as opposed to the DPS needed in LCM. Maybe Allen can clarify on his techniques :) (Well, I see Allen put in a response as I typed this up. Accelerating from a dead stop is more like OW when you're running into people and having to adjust.) I do recommend anything DPS when prepping for LCM. Lengthen out those strokes!
  • I think the big challenge is attitude.I gominto a LCM meet thinking"now I get to get into a good rhythm without those pesky turns getting in the way." If you love it and look forward to swimming it,I think how you train is less important.