Panic attack during hard swim set.

I have had 2 panic attacks this week during a hard swim set. Feel like I cannot get enough air. Feels awful. Please help.
  • you should get a visit with your MD a soon as available ... would want to rule out a possible medical issues ... did you monitor your heart rate during these attacks ? ... i would take it very easy until seen ... good luck
  • I have had 2 panic attacks this week during a hard swim set. Feel like I cannot get enough air. Feels awful. Please help. These may not be panic attacks. Lack of oxygen may be related to a heart issue see a MD before you workout again.
  • Thx for your quick reply. no hrm on at time. tried finger on throat and seemed fine. doing breathing exercises at home now. but will see a dr. Google said exercise induced asthma and to try inhaler.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    define your " Panic attack", that will give us a lot more to work on.
  • cannot get enough air when swimming all out sets.
  • It does sound like exercise induced asthma is likely,but see a Dr. to be sure and to get treatment.
  • Thanks for all your replies. I have cardiologist appt tomorrow. Still swimming but not hard right now. Clinic I went to said probably not asthma as did not wheeze.
  • Former Member
    As already mentioned, check with your doctor. However, if you are predisposed to having a panic attack, or are already suffering from anxiety, then the increased physiological arousal could plausibly be a trigger.
  • I get a panic attack at least once each meet. It is purely caused by too much adrenalin or something. It gradually becomes more intense and builds up to a climax to when the "start horn" goes off on the block. I feel out of breath and I can see my heart pounding from my chest. I do breath control exercises to calm it, which helps, but sometimes knocks my heart beat off rhythm. Just typing this gives me mild symptoms lol. I found that an icebreaker heat early on (like 50 fly, back, 100IM) in my warm-up shorts, before my target events significantly helps. Too much anxiety kills my performance (e.g., screwed up starts and turns, almost fell off the block recently, etc), but when it's under control I found it to be quite powerful. Hopefully you are experiencing nerves too, good luck with your medical appointment
  • Former Member
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner ,but was thinking about you while a swam yesterday. A few thoughts. Your breathing should regulate your stroke, not the other way around. If you are overworking , and under breathing your deficit will catch up on you. Has anyone looked at your stroke lately. Whats your stroke count for 25 yards,...13 or 22? Are you under too long on your flip turns? Does this happen in open water when you are not contending with under water turns. If you continue to trigger the panic response, you are ill practicing. You might want to slow things down and rebuild. Other things. Too much coffee?. Dehydration? trying to keep up with someone in other lane? I think a lot of us have at one point or another experienced a lack of oxygen/clusterphobia and the like, watch for the trigger signs and figure it out . Doctors and meds are real easy ...beware...and good luck.