Panic attack during hard swim set.

I have had 2 panic attacks this week during a hard swim set. Feel like I cannot get enough air. Feels awful. Please help.
Parents
  • I get a panic attack at least once each meet. It is purely caused by too much adrenalin or something. It gradually becomes more intense and builds up to a climax to when the "start horn" goes off on the block. I feel out of breath and I can see my heart pounding from my chest. I do breath control exercises to calm it, which helps, but sometimes knocks my heart beat off rhythm. Just typing this gives me mild symptoms lol. I found that an icebreaker heat early on (like 50 fly, back, 100IM) in my warm-up shorts, before my target events significantly helps. Too much anxiety kills my performance (e.g., screwed up starts and turns, almost fell off the block recently, etc), but when it's under control I found it to be quite powerful. Hopefully you are experiencing nerves too, good luck with your medical appointment
  • I get a panic attack at least once each meet. It is purely caused by too much adrenalin or something. It gradually becomes more intense and builds up to a climax to when the "start horn" goes off on the block. I feel out of breath and I can see my heart pounding from my chest. I do breath control exercises to calm it, which helps, but sometimes knocks my heart beat off rhythm. Just typing this gives me mild symptoms lol. I found that an icebreaker heat early on (like 50 fly, back, 100IM) in my warm-up shorts, before my target events significantly helps. Too much anxiety kills my performance (e.g., screwed up starts and turns, almost fell off the block recently, etc), but when it's under control I found it to be quite powerful. Hopefully you are experiencing nerves too, good luck with your medical appointment
Children
No Data