Anyone use prescription goggles?

Former Member
Former Member
Any brand recommendations? How important is it to find a brand that offers separate diopters for each eye if your prescription is about -1 difference from right to left? It seems like even the brands that offer separate diopters for each eye only have 0.5 steps up in diopter, if my diopter works out to be x.25 or x.75, do I round it up or down? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
  • I've been using the Sporti S2 optical goggles from Swimoutlet.com for years. They're good quality and cheap. I've got the same issues with different prescriptions in each eye. For a long time I just got the weaker prescription for both, but then started ordering two pair, one with -3.5 for my right eye, one with -4.5 for my left. I take them apart and make two pair of mixed prescription goggles. One is worn "upside down" but there is no difference, just flip the nose piece over. I round down to the nearest diopter. So if my prescription is -3.75, I get a -3.5.
  • I did exactly the same thing. I bought one pair of -7 and one of -4.5, took them apart and made two new pairs. I used one for practice and one for meets. Over time, my worst eye got better and I could then get one pair at the lower Rx.
  • View Swimming Goggles - Corrective Lenses - View VC510A Platina Corrective Lens I have used these for several years and love them. You buy two single lenses and thus have a pair. You also have to buy the combination strap and nose piece. Once you have the strap and nose piece you don't have to buy them again unless they are worn out. I am 20/200 in one eye and 20/400 in the other. With the two separate lenses I can see the scoreboard 50 meters away at the end of a race!!! Used to have to ask, "What was my time?" Not anymore. I have two pair, one I use only for competition and the other for practice. When the practice one poops out, I get a new one for competition and use the "old" competition pair for everyday. I get a new pair once every 12 to 14 months or so.
  • I really like my TYR diopter goggles. They make all the difference in sighting during open water swims. I have a tinted pair for sunny days and a clear one for night time pool workouts.
  • I've been using the Sporti S2 optical goggles from Swimoutlet.com for years. They're good quality and cheap. Same here. The sporti brand has worked best for me, with long lasting anti-fog properties. I like the pro2 model for the more comfortable sockets. Click the swimoutlet link from the USMS website so USMS gets credit for directing you to the site. So nice to see in (and out of) the water! :bliss:
  • I used to but,have gone to wearing last months contact lens for practice & ow swims. I always keep a back up pair in case I lose one or both.Kiefer has some good rx goggles as well.
  • Several years ago I started wearing the daily disposable lenses for swimming, biking, yoga etc. With care a pair can be used for at least a week.
  • I use the Barracuda prescription goggles, which I like. They can correct for astigmatism, which I need. They are pricey but also very comfortable and long-lasting. But I do find that it isn't necessary to *fully* correct my vision in order to see what I need to see (wall, clock, etc.).
  • If you do wear contacts for swimming, clean them each time after practice.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yep^ I tried contacts for the longest while, but they tended to dry out/degrade when I didn't clean them properly. Something with the chlorine I think. I picked up some RX swim goggles and haven't looked back