most feared event

Former Member
Former Member
poll of most feared event
  • Physical pain is one thing, but what is worse is the anticipation of the pain, the nerves before the block where you fear you will make one simple mistake and toss a year of training in the wastecan
  • I've never raced a 400 IM. I have done the 200 fly... twice. It was the first time and last time I would ever race that event. I think after the 100 fly, the rest of the IM would not be as painful as the second 100 fly. I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about having to race a 200.
  • REAL men race the 200 fly . . . smart men watch it
  • Of those 3 events, I don't fear any. I do respect them all though. The 200 Fly isn't really that bad (when I'm in shape) as I am a flyer by nature. The 1650 is all a mind game, and also comes back to how you've been training as to how hard it really will be. The 400 IM, while switching strokes, has just the right amount of speed involved to make things quite painful about 1/2way through it. My make it or break it point is right when I push off for the first breaststroke streamline/pullout, I know then if the remainder of the race will be great or not. I also agree that the 200 Free is one of the harder races for me NOW. Back in college, it was a controlled sprint all the way.
  • You must have a warped sense of fear to have put the top two greatest events in this list and one that easily makes the top 10 list. Alas, I could not participate in your poll. I think if you want an accurate poll, you should include all events. My top 3 most feared events would be: 200 free - ain't nobody know how to swim this godforsaken mess that can't decide if it's a sprint or a mid-distance race. SCY, SCM or LCM -- no matter which way you cut it, this race is hard, unfathomable and unbeatable. 50 free - screw up the start, turn, breakout, or, heck, even breathe one too many times and your race is shot. But, hey, even if you remove the turn in long course, this event also sucks as, after about the 30 meter mark, when you've taken your allotted one breath, your vision starts to fade into the tunnel and, in the midst of your hypoxic haze, you swear you start talking with ghosts of swimmers past. 200 long course *** stroke - If I can't swim at least 60% of my breaststroke via underwater pullouts, there's gonna be ugliness. The 200 free is probably the most strategic race in all of swimming. Being a distance swimmer by nature I really do not know how to swim it. Do I go out fast? Do I build into that third 50, or do I rely on my conditioning to make a move during the back half of the race? Of all the events listed in the poll, I think that the 400IM is probably the most difficult event on the list. I am a bit biased because my backstroke and breaststroke are atrocious!!!!
  • I think perhaps the 200 *** would be my most painful event. Not for me, but the aggregate pain of the spectators who watch it would be greater than my personal pain in any other event.
  • I think perhaps the 200 *** would be my most painful event. Not for me, but the aggregate pain of the spectators who watch it would be greater than my personal pain in any other event.:rofl:
  • I didn't vote, because I have no fear of either of those events, and I have "raced" them all. I say "raced," because my times weren't exactly lightning speed- especially my 200 fly. :cane: Having swum a non-stop 2000 fly, I know I can swim 200 fly with no problem. Racing 200 fly is another story. :agree: The key for me is using pwb's race strategy to make sure the piano doesn't come crashing down on my back! :bolt: I've raced 400 LCM fly, 800 LCM IM, 800 SCM fly, 800 SCM IM, and 1650 SCY fly in meets; it doesn't change my answer. Where fear is concerned, the 200 LCM fly stands alone among swimming events. There is nothing to fear - it will hurt like hell and the last 50 you will question life, the universe and everything. The secret to a rewarding 200 fly in long course, especially as a Masters swimmer, is to loaf-cruise-sleep-through the first three laps, use that third turn for all the air you can grab, and then build the last 50. Honestly, the only good 200 LCM flys I have ever swum (and my fastest times) were swum with this strategy. In addition to removing a lot of the pain typically associated with this event, you finish looking so strong (and passing other swimmers who have 'gone vertical') that it almost doesn't matter what your time is! I follow the same strategy; it doesn't change my answer. Where fear is concerned, the 200 LCM fly stands alone among swimming events. Of those 3 events, I don't fear any. I do respect them all though. The 200 Fly isn't really that bad (when I'm in shape) as I am a flyer by nature. The 1650 is all a mind game, and also comes back to how you've been training as to how hard it really will be. The 400 IM, while switching strokes, has just the right amount of speed involved to make things quite painful about 1/2way through it. My make it or break it point is right when I push off for the first breaststroke streamline/pullout, I know then if the remainder of the race will be great or not. I also agree that the 200 Free is one of the harder races for me NOW. Back in college, it was a controlled sprint all the way. The only thing we have to beer is beer itself.
  • The 200 fly is a handful of pain, but, strategically, it is dead simple to swim and you know exactly when the pain's going to hit (somewhere between the 130 and 160 mark), so there's no surprises and, hence, no fear. Yeah, but what about when you get about 90 yards in and you're already starting to feel fatigued? That's a real "uh oh" moment! I think you "pain between 130 and 160" is very optimistic from my experience. And I agree the long course event is a whole 'nother ball game. Steve's comment about you can see the curvature of the earth on the last length was very apropos.
  • Any 200 event you care about and swim as fast as you can is going to hurt.200s are just long enough to totally discombobulate you if done properly.If you can climb out of the pool immediately at the end of the race,you didn't swim it right.