most feared event

Former Member
Former Member
poll of most feared event
Parents
  • I didn't vote, because I have no fear of either of those events, and I have "raced" them all. I say "raced," because my times weren't exactly lightning speed- especially my 200 fly. :cane: Having swum a non-stop 2000 fly, I know I can swim 200 fly with no problem. Racing 200 fly is another story. :agree: The key for me is using pwb's race strategy to make sure the piano doesn't come crashing down on my back! :bolt: I've raced 400 LCM fly, 800 LCM IM, 800 SCM fly, 800 SCM IM, and 1650 SCY fly in meets; it doesn't change my answer. Where fear is concerned, the 200 LCM fly stands alone among swimming events. There is nothing to fear - it will hurt like hell and the last 50 you will question life, the universe and everything. The secret to a rewarding 200 fly in long course, especially as a Masters swimmer, is to loaf-cruise-sleep-through the first three laps, use that third turn for all the air you can grab, and then build the last 50. Honestly, the only good 200 LCM flys I have ever swum (and my fastest times) were swum with this strategy. In addition to removing a lot of the pain typically associated with this event, you finish looking so strong (and passing other swimmers who have 'gone vertical') that it almost doesn't matter what your time is! I follow the same strategy; it doesn't change my answer. Where fear is concerned, the 200 LCM fly stands alone among swimming events. Of those 3 events, I don't fear any. I do respect them all though. The 200 Fly isn't really that bad (when I'm in shape) as I am a flyer by nature. The 1650 is all a mind game, and also comes back to how you've been training as to how hard it really will be. The 400 IM, while switching strokes, has just the right amount of speed involved to make things quite painful about 1/2way through it. My make it or break it point is right when I push off for the first breaststroke streamline/pullout, I know then if the remainder of the race will be great or not. I also agree that the 200 Free is one of the harder races for me NOW. Back in college, it was a controlled sprint all the way. The only thing we have to beer is beer itself.
  • I didn't vote, because I have no fear of either of those events, and I have "raced" them all. I say "raced," because my times weren't exactly lightning speed- especially my 200 fly. :cane: Having swum a non-stop 2000 fly, I know I can swim 200 fly with no problem. Racing 200 fly is another story. :agree: The key for me is using pwb's race strategy to make sure the piano doesn't come crashing down on my back! :bolt: I've raced 400 LCM fly, 800 LCM IM, 800 SCM fly, 800 SCM IM, and 1650 SCY fly in meets; it doesn't change my answer. Where fear is concerned, the 200 LCM fly stands alone among swimming events. There is nothing to fear - it will hurt like hell and the last 50 you will question life, the universe and everything. The secret to a rewarding 200 fly in long course, especially as a Masters swimmer, is to loaf-cruise-sleep-through the first three laps, use that third turn for all the air you can grab, and then build the last 50. Honestly, the only good 200 LCM flys I have ever swum (and my fastest times) were swum with this strategy. In addition to removing a lot of the pain typically associated with this event, you finish looking so strong (and passing other swimmers who have 'gone vertical') that it almost doesn't matter what your time is! I follow the same strategy; it doesn't change my answer. Where fear is concerned, the 200 LCM fly stands alone among swimming events. Of those 3 events, I don't fear any. I do respect them all though. The 200 Fly isn't really that bad (when I'm in shape) as I am a flyer by nature. The 1650 is all a mind game, and also comes back to how you've been training as to how hard it really will be. The 400 IM, while switching strokes, has just the right amount of speed involved to make things quite painful about 1/2way through it. My make it or break it point is right when I push off for the first breaststroke streamline/pullout, I know then if the remainder of the race will be great or not. I also agree that the 200 Free is one of the harder races for me NOW. Back in college, it was a controlled sprint all the way. The only thing we have to beer is beer itself.
Children
No Data