I need to learn...

Former Member
Former Member
I've never been a swimmer but my interest in BUD/S requires that I not only swim, but be proficient at it. I can stay afloat and I can get from one end of a pool to another (not quickly). I usually swim like you see in the movies, where I sort of slap the water with my hands in front of me while moving my face left to right and vice versa. I don't know what that's called or if it's even an actual form of swimming, but that's what I do. I need to become very familiar with the sidestroke and breaststroke but I'm not really sure about who I should go to for help. I believe I need someone who swims to show me how it's done but I don't know how to go about asking or who I'd even ask. Also, I need to get my sidestroke to a minimum of 9:30 but preferably as low as possible... can you guys tell me how difficult that'd be for someone who is new to swimming (I have at least 8-12 months to learn and condition)?
  • I believe the side stroke you mention is the combat stroke? And as 9:30, I assume you mean 500 yards or meters? Find some lessons to teach you the basic fundamentals of swimming as soon as possible. Practice as much as you can, but remember if you swim incorrectly it can be worse than not swimming at all. But yes, you can confidently accomplish your goal in under a year, but it would require proper instruction, feedback, and available water
  • I've never been a swimmer but my interest in BUD/S requires that I not only swim, but be proficient at it. I can stay afloat and I can get from one end of a pool to another (not quickly). I usually swim like you see in the movies, where I sort of slap the water with my hands in front of me while moving my face left to right and vice versa. I don't know what that's called or if it's even an actual form of swimming, but that's what I do. I need to become very familiar with the sidestroke and breaststroke but I'm not really sure about who I should go to for help. I believe I need someone who swims to show me how it's done but I don't know how to go about asking or who I'd even ask. Also, I need to get my sidestroke to a minimum of 9:30 but preferably as low as possible... can you guys tell me how difficult that'd be for someone who is new to swimming (I have at least 8-12 months to learn and condition)? What does 9:30 mean? if you want to improve, keep training If you want to improve your technique, get lessons
  • What does 9:30 mean?For the SEAL Physical Screening Test: Swim 500 yard *** or side stroke - 12:30 (Minimum) 10:00 (Average) 9:30 (Optimum) You generally want to be optimum or better
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing you may be a college student. If so, check with the PE department and/or campus recreation department about swimming lessons and explain your motivation for learning. If there's ROTC, talk to someone there - they may have either training courses or a recommended place to get them. I work at a university and at certain times of the year see quite a few of the ROTC students at the pool working on their skills.
  • Former Member
    Hi JJackson09, Good luck with your endeavors. Don't know if this applicable where you are. Would the lifeguards be able to help with the kick part? I have been on youtube looking. The sidestroke kick looks very similar to the towing kick a lot of lifeguards use. Just a though to try to help.
  • Occationally I swim at the Joint Forces Training Center in Los Alamitos, CA. When these service men and women are in the pool training they are fully dressed in combat clothes, minus shoes, and backpacks. I am suggesting to up your swimming skills, as mentioned above, and then try the test on your own fully dressed for combat.
  • Former Member
    I've never been a swimmer but my interest in BUD/S requires that I not only swim, but be proficient at it. I can stay afloat and I can get from one end of a pool to another (not quickly). I usually swim like you see in the movies, where I sort of slap the water with my hands in front of me while moving my face left to right and vice versa. I don't know what that's called or if it's even an actual form of swimming, but that's what I do. I need to become very familiar with the sidestroke and breaststroke but I'm not really sure about who I should go to for help. I believe I need someone who swims to show me how it's done but I don't know how to go about asking or who I'd even ask. Also, I need to get my sidestroke to a minimum of 9:30 but preferably as low as possible... can you guys tell me how difficult that'd be for someone who is new to swimming (I have at least 8-12 months to learn and condition)? we know about competition swimming - combat swimming/qualification is a whole other monster. check the Spec Ops forums, I gained a lot of knowledge when i was contemplating that option. The only few things i can tell you right now is: get used to cold choppy water swims (45-65 degrees), get used to being sandy and having rashes from your legs rubbing together from the sand, and work on breath control. *HOWEVER* - do not train for breath control on your own, you MUST have a partner incase of blackout. The best thing that a former SEAL told me when talking to them about this is "if you are going to try out for the SEAL's do this: wake up early in the morning around 1am on a fall day and go outside - its probably 40 degrees outside. turn your hose on and have someone holding the hose water on your while doing sit ups and leg raises for 15 minutes. if you don't think you can do this again in 45 minutes, or day in/day out for that matter, then don't tryout." http://www.socnet.com/ www.sealswcc.com/.../
  • I've never been a swimmer but my interest in BUD/S requires that I not only swim, but be proficient at it. I can stay afloat and I can get from one end of a pool to another (not quickly). I usually swim like you see in the movies, where I sort of slap the water with my hands in front of me while moving my face left to right and vice versa. I don't know what that's called or if it's even an actual form of swimming, but that's what I do. I need to become very familiar with the sidestroke and breaststroke but I'm not really sure about who I should go to for help. I believe I need someone who swims to show me how it's done but I don't know how to go about asking or who I'd even ask. Also, I need to get my sidestroke to a minimum of 9:30 but preferably as low as possible... can you guys tell me how difficult that'd be for someone who is new to swimming (I have at least 8-12 months to learn and condition)? Great ambition on your part. If available join a Masters team today.