I need to learn...

Former Member
Former Member
I've never been a swimmer but my interest in BUD/S requires that I not only swim, but be proficient at it. I can stay afloat and I can get from one end of a pool to another (not quickly). I usually swim like you see in the movies, where I sort of slap the water with my hands in front of me while moving my face left to right and vice versa. I don't know what that's called or if it's even an actual form of swimming, but that's what I do. I need to become very familiar with the sidestroke and breaststroke but I'm not really sure about who I should go to for help. I believe I need someone who swims to show me how it's done but I don't know how to go about asking or who I'd even ask. Also, I need to get my sidestroke to a minimum of 9:30 but preferably as low as possible... can you guys tell me how difficult that'd be for someone who is new to swimming (I have at least 8-12 months to learn and condition)?
Parents
  • I believe the side stroke you mention is the combat stroke? And as 9:30, I assume you mean 500 yards or meters? Find some lessons to teach you the basic fundamentals of swimming as soon as possible. Practice as much as you can, but remember if you swim incorrectly it can be worse than not swimming at all. But yes, you can confidently accomplish your goal in under a year, but it would require proper instruction, feedback, and available water
  • I believe the side stroke you mention is the combat stroke? And as 9:30, I assume you mean 500 yards or meters? Find some lessons to teach you the basic fundamentals of swimming as soon as possible. Practice as much as you can, but remember if you swim incorrectly it can be worse than not swimming at all. But yes, you can confidently accomplish your goal in under a year, but it would require proper instruction, feedback, and available water
Children
No Data