Toxic Swimming vs Eco Swimming

How toxic (to the enviroment from manufacturing) are the swimsuits that we wear (Speedo, Nike, Arena, etc.)? Are there any Eco Friendly swimsuits our there, that provide the same benefits as a toxic swimsuit?
  • Rob, that's just it. if i'm not wearing a suit i dont need a fina approved stamp!!! the stamp is only required *IF* you wear a suit. I really hope (for the sake of USMS membership growth goals) that going au naturel is not your plan once your shoulder heals.
  • Bill, that made me think: the most eco friendly suit would be ... none. so i had to look up if that was "legal" according to: 102.12 Swimwear for Pool Competition nowhere can i find that a suit is mandatory. 102.12.1 Design A The swimsuits worn for competition shall be nontransparent and conform to the current concept of the appropriate. The referee shall have authority to bar offenders from competition until they comply with this rule. all of 102.12.1 talks about is *IF* you wear a swimsuit, NOT that one is required!!! though state and local laws may prevail if one is not worn. steve
  • I have a hemp suit by speeodd.
  • Steve, I'm not sure where the FINA approved stamp would be on your proposed swimwear:blush:
  • Rob, that's just it. if i'm not wearing a suit i dont need a fina approved stamp!!! the stamp is only required *IF* you wear a suit.
  • Unless you swim in a naturally occurring body of water, the artificial construction of and maintenance of a pool (including the manufacturing and shipping of chemicals, cleaners and filters) is probably one heck of a lot more "toxic" to the environment than a purchased suit.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    The most environmentally friendly suit is probably the one that lasts the longest so you don't need to replace it. A polyester suit can last a couple years. If you are willing to re-stitch the seams (the stitching is the only part that wears out) it would probably last a lot longer than that.
  • I just posted a question about eco-friendly wetsuits, which lead me to this thread. Arena seems to be one of the more transparent companies: unlike, say, Tyr, Arena has a whole section of its website devoted to fair labor and environmental concerns.

I haven't found any of the big swim companies listed on auditing sites like goodonyou.eco or donegood.co. But I have found these cool-looking suits made from plastic bottles by a UK company called Batoko. They're not made for training per se, but they look nice!

• I believe suits are much more ecofriendly than the body it's worn by.