USA Swimming Grand Prix Series

2012-13 USA SWIMMING GRAND PRIX SERIES: Minneapolis Grand Prix Nov. 9-11 Minneapolis, MN Austin Grand Prix Jan. 18-20, 2013 Austin, TX Orlando Grand Prix Feb. 14-16, 2013 Orlando, FL Mesa Grand Prix April 11-13, 2013 Mesa, AZ Charlotte Ultraswim Grand Prix May 9-12, 2013 Charlotte, NC Santa Clara Grand Prix May 30-June 2, 2013 Santa Clara, CA
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Forget 15 year old Michael Andrews… 16 year old Kirsten Jacobsen dropped 18 seconds in her 400 Free to set a new US record of 4:00.01 (fastest enough to make the Men’s A finals):applaud::applaud::applaud:I think her actual time was 4:23.61.
  • Natalie Coughlin's 100 free was weird. She was out in 26.16 and appeared to be holding her speed/lead up to at least 75M, then the cam angle changed (at about 15m or so) for the finish, and she was 3rd:confused:. Like she hit the lactate brakes or something. Her 50 should be fun to watch!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    This was in a recent news article: "At his heaviest, Phelps weighed 225 pounds. He competed at 187 in London, and last week was down to 194."
  • 2014 Arena Grand Prix at Mesa The fourth stop on the Arena Grand Prix Series takes place in Arizona. The Arena Grand Prix at Mesa will be held April 24 - 26 in Mesa, Ariz. at the Skyline Aquatic Center. Psych Sheet (updated 4/19/14) LIVE Results OMEGA Results
  • was that pwb timing lane 4 thurs finals? primo seat to watch the swimming and get in the shot during the interviews! can't wait to be at finals tonite and tomorrow with my Swim Devil Masters diva peeps!
  • Kathy may correct me, but MGR 1 The Members shall register Masters competitors in a special category for each of the five recognised disciplines. A competitor who registers for Masters in any discipline will still retain his/her unrestricted right to compete in other competitions. MGR 2 Except for specific exceptions in the FINA Rules and regulations all other FINA Rules and Regulations shall apply to Masters Competitions. and MSW 5.3 World Records can only be established in a Masters meet: a) formally sanctioned by a FINA Member Federation; and b) organised for on behalf of a club or an organisation, which is a member of this FINA Member Federation or recognised by FINA; and c) conducted under the rules of FINA (and specially those relevant to Masters Swimming); and d) in which only swimmers registered in a club member of a FINA Member Federation participated. how i read this, yes you must enter as a masters swimmer. I don't think you can enter this meet as a masters swimmer. My take is that this meet is sanctioned as a USA Swimming meet and you must be a member of that organization to swim in this meet. The question I would have is a lot of Masters Clubs are not registered as USA Swimming Clubs and you must be a member of a USA Swimming Club or swim Unattached registered through USA Swimming to swim in the meet. All of the registered masters swimmers in this meet are registered as swimmers from there USA Swimming Clubs. What is interesting is that 2 of the swimmers that set records yesterday and today swim for the Olympic Club as there masters Club and will represent that Club next week in Santa Clara but in this meet they are swimming for their USA Club which is Cal Aquatics. Olympic Club is a registered USA Swimming Club but I am not sure if this meets the requirement as a Club member as described in D of MSW 5.3 of FINA Rules. When I think of a dual sanction with USA Swimming, I think that the swimmer is a member of both organizations and he is swimming as a USA Swimming member but would like his times to count for World Records because they are USMS registered masters swimmers. Top Ten and National Records already count because we automatically recognize those events. This last statement is assuming that all of the pool measurements, timing heat sheet/timing system printout, referee signature, and proof of swimmers age are complete. World Records might be different because of the club representation. I noticed in the "Application for a USMS/World Record that new language has been added that states: "If this is a World Record then I certify that this Masters meet has fulfilled the FINA Rule MSW 5.3 requirements." On the old application the only information that was required was your individual USMS Number and the sanction number for the masters meet. From all this I am not sure if these swims will be certified as Masters World Records. This is the first high level USA Swimming meet that I have ever seen dual sanctioned. All of the others were recognized and swimmers could get National Records but never World Records. This will be very interesting to see how this plays out because a lot of these same swimmers will be swimming next week in our USMS National meet and there will be no problem with records. I have noticed that some of the swims yesterday would have been World Records but not National Records because they are faster from the USA Recognized meets that USMS certified as National Records. Both Ervin and Townsend went faster than the World Record at 50.84 but slower than Nick Brunelli's 49.63 National Record in the 100 meter free. Tonight the oldest USMS/World Record that has ever existed could be broken tonight if FINA determines that you can set World Records in this dual sanctioned meet. Kevin Deforrest swam a 22.59 in the 50 Free in the 25-29 age group in August of 1983 over 30 years ago and I believe Nathan Adrian will get it. Ervin tied that record today but he is in the 30-34 age group and that his record is significantly harder at 22.13 by Roland Schoeman. When Kevin Deforrest swam that swim it was only better by one swimmer in the world and that was Robin Leamy.
  • David Guthrie made the consolation finals! 30 Guthrie, David 53 Rice Aquatics-GU 1:07.48 1:08.14 q631 r:+0.83 32.23 1:08.14 (35.91)
  • 200 Fly. Placed 34th with the fastest first 50 in the field. I watched this live as it was happening :shakeshead: 34 Steinway, Redacted Piano Aquatics 1:49.05Y 2:13.20 586 r:+0.75 26.82 58.63 (31.81) 1:33.16 (34.53) 2:13.20 (40.04) It's nice to know this can happen to elite swimmers, too. 58.63, 1:14.57 for a 15.94 differential. Perhaps too much Spring Break partying? :)
  • Anthony Ervin had one of the worst starts I've ever seen from an elite. Aimost half a body length behind. Definitely kept him out of the A final. I didn't see his swim but I remember him having a bad start in London.
  • David Guthrie just won the D final of the 100 BR in 1:07.24!