Recording set times - 'wet' tools?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi Does anybody have any products that they use or could suggest for recording set times during a set. In other words, some sort of small whiteboard / clipboard that can be used with some form of pencil/pen that can be used in the wet and then rubbed off later? Thanks Rob
  • Put a piece of paper inside a freezer ziploc bag with what ever you want to be read on it. Use a wax/grease pencil to write on the outside of the bag.
  • Hi Does anybody have any products that they use or could suggest for recording set times during a set. In other words, some sort of small whiteboard / clipboard that can be used with some form of pencil/pen that can be used in the wet and then rubbed off later? Thanks Rob I bought a small one at www.scuba.com They no longer carry the exact one I purchased, however, they do sell a whiteboard with a special pencil, as you described. By the way, if you get a dive slate, the easiest way to remove the pencil is to use toothpaste (not a gel) and rub it on. Then, use a damp paper towel to rub off the pencil and paste, before rinsing. I have been using mine to keep track of my times during workouts and it works great. I have also printed out my favorite workouts and placed them in plastic sleeves in a binder. Each day, I take one out and slip it into a giant ziploc to take to the pool. I refer to this for my sets, but keep track of my times and stroke counts on my dive slate (white board).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I like the suggestions people have posted. I may try some of them. Right now, I just use a Timex Ironman watch. I hit Start/Lap to mark the start and finish of each repeat. That also records my rest interval. Sometimes, I'll keep that going for the entire practice. Or, if the practice has distinct sections, I might hit Stop and Store between them. That system works pretty well. But, it would be nice to be able to record other information if I'm working on something more complicated. Sometimes I would want to record my stroke count or notes about a focal point I was working on.
  • Former Member
    Will a reg dry marker board work? Unless you rub it it should stay on,I think. Or do you mean to use it under water? I'm just thinking something small enough to be able to take to different pools easily, and to put at the end of the lane for swimmers to input themselves.
  • Check your local scuba dive shop for slates. There's a large assortment of styles.
  • Will a reg dry marker board work? Unless you rub it it should stay on,I think. Or do you mean to use it under water?
  • Former Member
    Fisher Space Pen (Pen used by NASA Astronauts) ballpoint ink is waterproof and write underwater (and any other zero gravity environment like space). They come in various materials all of which should be corrosion resistant. I've owned a number of these and have never had a problem except I've losing them since some of them are compact until you open them. Example video on youtube: Fisher Space Pen Underwater Test - YouTube They also make waterproof paper. They come in nice little notebooks as well. Quite inexpensive as well. I know there are also some regular brands (i.e. uniball) that make waterproof ink, but I'm not sure how well it works if the paper is already wet. You can skip reading this tangent: Unlike most 21 year olds, I take pride in penmanship. It seems to be a thing of the past. I'm a writing instrument guy too. I do tons of note taking for school and if I don't like the pen I'm using, its harder to write, harder to focus, and harder to reread my notes. Although teachers want everything typed, I ask if I can handwrite it. Even though I'm good at typing, better than most people actually, my writing is better when it "flows" through me through the pen. My basic pen of choice is the Zebra G-301 gel or pencil variant (though the eraser sucks). I also have a collection of Parker, Pelikan, Cross, Watermans, and a couple Mont Blac's I inherited from my grandfather. Most expensive pens I have, were usually a gifts and has some sentimental value (graduations, birthdays, etc). When my sister completed her DMD (Dentist Degree) I gave her an engraved cross pen with her name followed by DMD as a symbol of her prescribing power. I'm looking for this next. Might be a little flashy though. Back to the subject, Fisher makes a solid pen though and I love Amazon.com. They have everything. The prices on the Fisher Pens are really good too. Usually a basic one will run you $20-$25 at a retail store. $7, $10, $15 is not bad at all! I used a fisher pen and waterproof paper when I used to keep track of my times in high school. I would also recommend checking out a scuba store, but I feel like they would charge more.
  • Former Member
    An idea I came up with from counting cards: Say you are doing 10 x 100's on 1:30 with a goal time of 1:10 per 100. If you go 1:11, that is a +1, if you go 1:08 that is a -2. Keep track of your count. If your count ends up at "0" then you averaged exactly 1:10. If your could ends up as +5 then you averaged 1:10.5. It takes a little brain power but it also causes you to be more goal oriented with your set and more mindful of that goal during the set. Nice! Great idea
  • Former Member
    Hi Does anybody have any products that they use or could suggest for recording set times during a set. In other words, some sort of small whiteboard / clipboard that can be used with some form of pencil/pen that can be used in the wet and then rubbed off later? Thanks Rob An idea I came up with from counting cards: Say you are doing 10 x 100's on 1:30 with a goal time of 1:10 per 100. If you go 1:11, that is a +1, if you go 1:08 that is a -2. Keep track of your count. If your count ends up at "0" then you averaged exactly 1:10. If your could ends up as +5 then you averaged 1:10.5. It takes a little brain power but it also causes you to be more goal oriented with your set and more mindful of that goal during the set.
  • I bought a 10" plastic white board and grease markers from SCUBA shop. I list stroke distances down left side and times next to them on right, can use both sides of board. Record times at workout. Take home and enter on my computer spreadsheet. Wipe times clean save stroke/distance for next use.