eating before swim

Former Member
Former Member
Most of my swimming life, i've had breakfast first. Usually at 9:30 AM I have a medium size bowl of oatmeal, then a half banana with 1/2 cup grain cereal. Someone mentioned that he felt he swam better if he didn't have lunch before he swam. I am always hungry and can't imagine swimming before breakfast. Would love to hear other swimmers' input.
  • Most of my swimming life, i've had breakfast first. Usually at 9:30 AM I have a medium size bowl of oatmeal, then a half banana with 1/2 cup grain cereal. Someone mentioned that he felt he swam better if he didn't have lunch before he swam. I am always hungry and can't imagine swimming before breakfast. Would love to hear other swimmers' input. Do what works for you. Experiment. It really doesn't matter what works for others, it's all about you.
  • If I've had a large dinner, I usually won't eat in the morning before a workout. Occasionally, I'll chow down half a bar (PR Bar) to stave off any belly growls. For swims/practices over 2 hours, however, I'll either do a PR Bar or PB&J beforehand.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    It's hard to imagine doing a workout before breakfast. One time a doctor asked me how often I skip breakfast. I told him the last time was the year before when he had ordered a fasting glucose. Usually before a 2 hour workout, I eat what most people would consider two or three meals.
  • Our team swims at 7:30 P M so I eat light before 5:30 to keep fueled but, not sick. Then when home at 10 P M I have a salad.
  • I swim a mix of morning and evening practices (4:30am weekdays/7:30am Saturdays and 6:00pm, respectively), with most of my practices being evening practices. I don't eat a meal before the morning practices or the evening practices, but I do have a snack in the afternoon on days I do evening practice. I eat a small breakfast around 7:30am at work and eat dinner when I get home around 9:00pm. On Saturdays I usually end up skipping breakfast entirely and do lunch around 11:00am.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    It's hard to imagine doing a workout before breakfast. One time a doctor asked me how often I skip breakfast. I told him the last time was the year before when he had ordered a fasting glucose. Usually before a 2 hour workout, I eat what most people would consider two or three meals. I agree! I am weak and lethargic in the morning until I have my coffee and oatmeal and fresh fruit.
  • Most of my swimming life, i've had breakfast first. Usually at 9:30 AM I have.... Now THAT'S a schedule I can get behind!