We need an injury rant master thread!

So at the time I'm typing this, I look down, and the threads on the front page contain: Tennis Elbow and Shoulder Pain Rotator Cuff Surgery Shoulder Impingement Broken Thumb Anyway, so a lot of us are dealing with injuries. As for me? Turn ulnar collateral ligament in my right thumb. Happened on 12/30. Took a week and a half to diagnose, as it didn't seem that bad when it happened. Anyway, surgery a little later, and 4 weeks with a pin in my thumb (sticking out through the skin). Doctor wouldn't let me swim due to risk of infection. 4 weeks. Grumble, that's 6 weeks total. Pin out yesterday. Still no swimming for another 4 weeks! Arg. It is bad enough I struggle to button my jeans (button fly). But now I can't swim for another month? I'm looking at almost 2.5 months. I'm never gonna get my pre-COVID form back!
  • Yeah! I'm the "Rotator Cuff" thread guy. Now in a foot cast from a botched flip turn that made bone chips and tendon damage. Next week, I'm going to a 2nd opinion shoulder surgeon to look at my "not fixed by P T " rotator cuff problem. Is this stuff age related or over use related? Sure, we can combine into "What is broken in you NOW!" thread.
  • Swimming is reportedly easy on the joints, and compared to running it probably is(and much better than contact sports), but if one swims hard for long it will strain the joints, especially the shoulder. How many of you who have been swimming for awhile have had shoulder surgery?I have on my left shoulder and am babying my right to try and avoid another.
  • Add me to the rotator cuff list, surgery is in a couple of weeks. Spent yesterday canceling and/or rescheduling work meetings in the next month and car races over the next 6 months.
  • Iâ€Tmve had more injuries, an almost constant stream of mild musculoskeletal ailments, since Iâ€Tmve been out of the water due to COVID-19. Iâ€Tmll consider myself fortunate to not be in the surgery required group! Same here. Did a lot of hiking in the Fall, then went for a trail run. Had to have PT on my hip for 3 months.......my last session, I walked in with a cast on my hand from.......my thumb injury was mountain biking. At least the hip didn't impede my ability to swim.
  • ... I'm never gonna get my pre-COVID form back! I suspect that is true for many of us, even those who are "uninjured".
  • ulnar collateral ligament in my right thumb. One of my favorites: "gamekeeper's thumb" named for the way people used to kill game: snapping rabbit's or other game's neck between index and thumb. Now more usually from skier injury: thumb on ski pole pulls thumb back toward forearm. Actually, I'm just here because someone said rant and I'm kind of a professional. As has been alluded to we are all going to suck when we get back to competition. I'm sure I'll hear in hushed tones as I waddle by: "seems like he was thinner and much faster pre-covid."
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Iâ€Tmve had more injuries, an almost constant stream of mild musculoskeletal ailments, since Iâ€Tmve been out of the water due to COVID-19. Iâ€Tmll consider myself fortunate to not be in the surgery required group!
  • As an avid bicyclist also...I participate in a Bicycle discussion forums. Among their forums, one is for cyclist 50+. That forum has a sub-forum called “Pills and Ills.” As such...it doesnâ€Tmt get much attention from the under-50 crowd. Nevertheless...moderators will frequently move injury-related posts from other threads, to it. I guess they think people/cyclists under 50 donâ€Tmt sustain injury. Anyway my point is...Iâ€Tmm just agreeing that an injury forums on USMS forums would be useful. Dan There's one on a MTB forum I occasionally go to. I guess that is more likely to have injuries. Didn't post mine up, though, I'm not that active. Anyway, I really just posted this in good fun. Seems to be working :)
  • Actually, I'm just here because someone said rant and I'm kind of a professional.:D I'm sure I'll hear in hushed tones as I waddle by: "seems like he was thinner and much faster pre-covid."Fortunately, my shoulders are fine ... because they apparently aren't impacted by the ever-growing size of my belly! No injuries (knock wood) so far, just blubberizing as I approach two months out of the water as part of our second lockdown here in Ontario, Canada.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Same here. Did a lot of hiking in the Fall, then went for a trail run. Had to have PT on my hip for 3 months.......my last session, I walked in with a cast on my hand from.......my thumb injury was mountain biking. At least the hip didn't impede my ability to swim. Similar story for me. Did a lot of hiking last summer which resulted in RH hip pain which needed some PT and a bit of patience. Then, a few months later after a backpacking trip, the LH hip began acting up. Arghh! All of this weight bearing exercise after years of floating around in a pool has consequences.