bicep tenodesis and/or labral tear repair for middle age or

Former Member
Former Member
Hello, have you or any swimmer(s) you know had a bicep tenodesis and/or labral tear repair? How did it go? Especially in swimmers over the age of 40. Also curious if anyone has had a coracoid impingement surgically corrected.
  • I had tenodesis and labral repair at 39. Went great.
  • 16 months ago: rt shldr chondral debridement, LHBT tenodesis, with 3 anchors. Not full strength back yet but function better than before. One symptom still present from prior to surgery which I believe to be from nerve compression. I’m 53 My left shoulder is much worse, I just don’t want to go through the surgery BS quite yet
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Had bicep tenodesis and full rotator cuff repair two years ago. Rough rehab and a full year to feel confident with everything. I wasn't swimming until a few months ago, but no problems and feels better than it has in a long time. I'm 44.
  • I had tenodesis and labral repair at 39. Went great. i recall you were doing pull-ups in few months, and swimming 50 fly at a meet. Meanwhile, I was just kicking the sling habit at this stage. I guess the title “sickfish” says it all - lol
  • Yeah I was really aggressive. Maybe that's not for everyone. And on that one I was only 37. The second one took slightly longer before I could do fly pain-free. But surgery in November, meet in February. Did pretty well too: www.usms.org/.../meetsearch.php
  • Hello, have you or any swimmer(s) you know had a bicep tenodesis and/or labral tear repair? How did it go? Especially in swimmers over the age of 40. Also curious if anyone has had a coracoid impingement surgically corrected. ME at .... hmmm now i have to figure out how old i was ... um hang on
  • Hello, have you or any swimmer(s) you know had a bicep tenodesis and/or labral tear repair? How did it go? Especially in swimmers over the age of 40. Also curious if anyone has had a coracoid impingement surgically corrected. i tore mine on Aug 27 2009 didnt know it till later...much later...lots of pt that didnt do anything had SLAP tear surgery w/2 anchors on June 6 2010 - hmmm 43yo came back and swam pretty good in 2011 :D:D (there is a reason for 2 grins) reopened it in december of 2011 ate pain pills as meals for 2012 .. no really a LOT of them finally had the bicep tenodesis done on may 3 2013 46yo and came back really good again in 2014 :D:D (another reason for 2 grins) and 15 and 16 and 17 but had another issue at end of 17 and ive been fighting it since i just might stress mine more than the average bear as well
  • :waiting:...and, the reasons for the 2 grins in 2011 and 2014? C'mon, Sunruh, ya can't leave us hangin' like that! ;)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I’m 70 as of last week I had been fighting pain in the front of my right shoulder for 3-6 months, it would go away after I stretched out my arms under water while standing at the end of the lane. I could then swim a mile! After some time I noticed it was difficult to hold my iPhone while laying on my back in bed at night. I made the mistake of not getting a doctor referral anc went direct to PT. It appeared I was making headway but I finally went into the doc apt I had waited for = 5 weeks! Got an xray Got an mri To be continued